Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

My Rainbow Colored Toe

Monday, June 27, 2005


Warning: The following post is a little bit gross. Not horribly so. If you work in a medical profession or have kids (especially boys), it won't phase you. (One thing I've learned from my mother friends is that with motherhood comes an immediate ability to tolerate all things gross.) It will probably only bother you if you are prone to queasiness at the slightest mention of pain. Really, it's not bad, but I thought the courteous thing to do would be to warn you. Consider yourself warned.

I have been a complete clutz lately! Well, I've actually been a clutz all my life, but lately it's been worse. It's amazing I have never broken a single bone in my body or had any serious injuries of any kind. I've had a few stitches twice, but I don't count that as serious.

Last weekend the Geek and I and a friend were painting the house. I was in the bedroom manning the tools, while the Geek was outside the bedroom window on a ladder painting the outer frame. I tried to move the bed (a mattress on a boxspring on the floor - no frame) out of the way so I could sit next to the window. I somehow managed to catch the corner of the boxspring with my right big toe and tore the toenail back about 3/8 inch. It didn't come off as it was still attached a little bit. I've been keeping a band-aid on it for the past week to prevent it from tearing until it grows out. This was a successful tactic until tonight.

The Geek will usually set his plate down for the cats to lick after he is done eating, but I generally do not. They almost always end up gacking it up somewhere if I do. (Hang in there. This is actually related to the story.) Tonight I made an exception. I had some leftover chicken from a restaurant and the cats were all over me. They smelled that chicken and they wanted it BAD! I decided to be nice and give them a treat, so I set my plate on the kitchen floor when I was done. BIG mistake!

A few minutes later, my husband called. I walked out to the kitchen while I was on the phone, not paying attention to the floor and forgetting about the plate. My right foot hit the plate on the floor and there was an immediate surge of agonizing pain. I started shouting fake expletives (words the Geek made up in high school that I've picked up over the years), while my poor Geek sat there on the phone, probably wondering what I had done this time and hoping I was ok.

I looked down at my toe. The torn part of the toenail had been completely removed. How ironic is it that the part of my body that hit that plate had to be the part that would be most painful. It could have been my left foot - that wouldn't have hurt much at all - but no, it had to be the injured one. I hate irony. I really do.

So now I have 3/4 of a toenail on my right big toe. It's annoying, it's ugly, it's black, blue, red and yellow, it's painful, and at the rate my toenails grow it will take about 3 months for this thing to grow out.

Aaarrgghh.

6 Comments:

At 6/27/2005 11:06 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

Ouch! I'm sorry. If you were my daugher I'd say, "poor baby!". If it makes you feel better, you can consider yourself "poor baby"ed. If not, then I'll see you tomorrow!

 
At 6/28/2005 12:02 PM, Anonymous hot rod mama wrote:

This is your mother speaking :~} (amazingly, for the first time since you started blogging). And I do say "poor baby". Actually, my phrase would be more like, "Oh, honey. Are you okay? Do you want me to kiss it and make it all better?" But you HAVE grown up, after all. So I'll just settle for,"Oh, honey. Are you okay?" Though I know you're not. Something you don't know about yet, but when one of your children gets hurt, you can actually feel the physical pain yourself.
Well, this is just supposed to be a comment and it's already a story. It's the way I am. I'm a talker.
I could tell you to put some ice on it, watch for infection, use this, this and this if it gets red or swollen, etc., etc., etc., but that's not my style - 'cause I know you would hate it if I doted on you. Just take care of yourself.
Love ya. (And I love your blogability!)

 
At 6/29/2005 11:48 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Welcome to my blog, Mom! That's quite the comment! You should have your own blog. It's free. Well, except for the time it takes.

 
At 6/29/2005 7:50 PM, Blogger Heather wrote:

Thanks for adding me to your links section:-) I am adding you to my blogroll!

 
At 6/29/2005 8:09 PM, Anonymous al wrote:

Hi, Sorry about the toe.
All the nice colors means that it's healing just fine. The bllod rushes to the site of injury and as it leaves it carries with it all the gunky stuff.When all is said and done you will have a toe full of character :)

 
At 6/30/2005 9:03 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Thanks Heather Nicole! I've been enjoying your blog.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home