Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

SweetGirlisms (Part 1 of ?)

Saturday, June 25, 2005


As Blond Girl has said, her 5-year-old daughter (for whom I am providing back-up daycare this week) is quite the precocious little girl. I'm finding that kids really do say the darndest things. I'm sure those of you who have little ones hanging around your feet all day will not be as impressed with this as I am, but to me this is a novelty, so I'm sure there will be more SweetGirlisms to come.

Whenever she wants to show off a new discovery, her statement goes something like this. "There's a new way to.... It goes like this." For example, "There's a new way to clean your face off. It goes like this." (She proceeds to lick her lips.) I've been hearing "There's a new way to..." several times a day. (I'm sure Blond Girl has heard it many more!) It reminds me of a newscaster announcing some new technology, except her novel ideas are refreshingly simple.

At lunch she announced "I get messy sometimes." Thinking this was a lamentation, I sought to encourage her by saying, "That's ok. We all get messy sometimes." Sweet Girl's reply was, "No, I'm talking about me now!" Apparently her statement was less of a lamentation and more of a revelation. Of course, the sticky doughnut glaze coating her little hands had already given away her secret.

Then, there are the wonderful stories she makes up. I think kids should write kids books instead of adults. They would be far more entertaining. Well, to me anyway. "My kids in my room broke one of my imaginary lamps. The conductor, he's a farmer who is my husband and he fixes things. But he didn't fix my lamp." Now that's the start of a great story, I tell you.

We had a tea party in the afternoon with Robert the horse and Winnie the Pooh. I asked her if she wanted to say grace before the tea party. She replied in her most civilized tea party voice that yes, she would like to say grace. "Dear Jesus. We're having a tea party and we have betend (pretend) tea and betend cookies and betend sugar and betend cream and betend balloons. Amen." More of an announcement than a traditional prayer, but very cute and sweet. Isn't this how we should all talk to God? Lord, this is what I'm doing today. I'd love for you to join me.

4 Comments:

At 6/25/2005 11:09 AM, Blogger Sharon wrote:

I can tell you are enjoying the babysitting :)

Sweet Girl sounds adorable.

 
At 6/25/2005 12:07 PM, Blogger Suzanne wrote:

ahhhh! I just love sweet girls (and boys). there's nothing better in life is there?
I'm here from Sharon's. Hi from Georgia.

 
At 6/25/2005 6:25 PM, Blogger Heather wrote:

I only have boys. A tea party sounds like so much fun!

 
At 6/28/2005 7:00 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

I must not be writing about Tiglet enough in my blog. Or maybe I need to call her Sweet Girl... in anycase, my daughter gets more comments on your blog than mine! haha!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home