Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

SweetGirlisms (Part 3 of ?)

Thursday, June 30, 2005


If you haven't picked this up from my blog or Blond Girl's yet, Sweet Girl is being raised in the Midwest. She has the accent to match. That is not to say that we speak like Fargo up here. That movie is one of the worst things that ever happened to us northerners. Now everyone south of Kansas thinks that we all run around in those big fur caps with attached earmuffs and speak like Olie and Lena. Yeah, not so much.

Anyway, to the best of my knowledge there is no consistent southern influence in Sweet Girl's life , yet somehow she seems to have a southern accent...in one word only. The girl doesn't say "bug", she says "buuuug". I thought it was just a fluke the first time I heard it, but every time after it was the same thing.

buuuuug

Do you remember Rudy on "The Cosby Show"? Remember her friend whom she called "Bud" even though it wasn't his name? Remember how she always pronounced it "Buuuud"? Sweet Girl says buuuug the same way. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against southern accents. I actually find accents of any kind pretty fascinating. I always have. It just amuses me that this little pasty white northern girl has a one word southern accent.

On another note, while we were eating our breakfast of cheesy scrambled eggs today, she asked me, "Did you know that eggshells grow on egg trees?" I explained that I had not and that I found that very interesting. She replied, "Yup. And birds have eggs and eggs have very special honey inside them." So apparently the shells grow on trees, but the eggs themselves come from the birds. I assume the honey insided is the yolk.

I love her perspective on things. When confronted with a subject with which she is not yet familiar, she simply makes up her own explanation for it. Seems logical to me. You've got to define this big old universe somehow.

3 Comments:

At 6/30/2005 11:52 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

And to think that I gave birth to that pasty white collection of imaginings! Amazing!

 
At 7/02/2005 7:45 PM, Anonymous hot rod mama wrote:

Sort of like my huuug from Rachel Longaberger, huh?

 
At 7/05/2005 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote:

Um.... Being from the Midwest and now 10 years a southerner... I'd say "y'all" are closer to Fargo than you think. Love you... stay warm. Little B

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home