Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

The Fish and Fishwife's Great Adventure

Friday, July 08, 2005


There is something you need to know about me to understand parts of the following post. "In person" (as opposed to by blog), I am not a particularly social person. That does not mean I am not friendly. It does not mean I don't like people. It does mean that I am not gifted in verbal communication and that makes it hard to meet and get to know new people. I could write an entire lengthy post about this, but this is not the time. (If I did, it might be called, "Introverts Are People Too.) This post is not about me. It's about two people who have become very important to me.

Their names - for the purposes of this blog - are the Fish and Fishwife. They are my husband's parents. I don't like to call them my "in-laws". That term carries a stigma in my mind which insinuates that I am forced by law to get along with them because they are related to my husband. I am one of the fortunate ones who gets along famously with my husband's family. They are great people and I love them like my own family.

From the first time I met them, which was shortly after we were engaged (which was not long after we met - another story for another time), they welcomed me in and treated me like family. The truly amazing part is that I don't remember ever feeling uncomfortable around them. I always feel uncomfortable around people when I first meet them. This is an incredibly rare thing for me.

I say all this to emphasize how important they are to me - and how much I will miss them for the next two years.

Just a few short months after we got married, they moved to the opposite end of the country. We are about as far north as you can go in the US - they were as far south as you can go in the US. We visited them every other year for Christmas and they would come up here once every year or two. Despite the fact that we didn't see them very often, I have always felt at home when we visit them and always enjoy their company.

Three years ago they went on a short-term missions trip to Peru with a group from their church. They immediately fell in love with the local people. They went back the following year and decided they wanted to spend more than a week or two there. They made plans to go right after the Fish's retirement. He retired earlier this year.

They came back up here in the spring and stayed with her parents (my Geek's grandparents) for a few months. It was nice to have them here. We spent a lot of time with them and the Scholar (Geek's sister who also moved back recently from another state) - lots of dinners together at Perkins. It's been a great few months.

Yesterday they left for Florida. They will stay there for about a week and then they leave for Peru - for two years. Depending on money, jobs, flight fares, etc., we may or may not see them until they get back. I'm sure the time will fly by, but we will miss them while they are gone.

On the other hand, I am so proud of them. They never really struck me as missionary types before, but they are going in the true love of Christ. They will be helping the poorest of the poorest of the poor while they are there, living among them. The people they will work with are outcasts - mostly disabled people who were abandoned to this town because they were too much of a burden to their families. The Fish and Fishwife saw a need, chose to see these people through eyes of compassion, and are there to serve. I believe that is the true call of a missionary - to serve the people in their everyday needs in the love and compassion of Christ.

I respect them more than I can say for choosing to do this, despite the cost and the fact that there is no glory in it for them - no return on their investment but the gratitude of the people they have learned to love. I hope they have a wonderful experience in Peru, and I can't wait to hear all the stories they will have to share about the beautiful people they meet there.

2 Comments:

At 7/08/2005 6:29 PM, Blogger Heather wrote:

The first paragraph could have been about me. I am not much of a social butterfly either. Not because I don't want to be, I just and not good at it.

 
At 7/08/2005 10:16 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

I liked reading this perspective. Thanks for showing me the "deeper side"...

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home