Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

My 100 Things - (Formerly known as the "Ace up my Sleeve")

Thursday, July 07, 2005


This was supposed to be done before Blond Girl, but I was too slow. And to make it worse, her life is SO much more interesting than mine! I don't have cute feet. I've never dated anyone on the internet. I don't count the laundry as I put it in the dryer.

Well, she did say some awfully nice things about me, so I suppose I'll have to forgive her.

Anyway, here are the 100 most interesting things I could think of about me. I hope you don't fall asleep.

1. I am married to a professional computer geek.
2. We got married the day after Christmas in 1992.
3. We were very young
4. I have never been on a date with anyone but the Geek.
5. Only one person asked and I turned him down.
6. My Geek and I met in August and got married in December of the same year.
7. We have a great marriage.
8. We have five cats.
9. Their names are Maestro, Diva, Beethoven, Mozart, and YoYo.
10. We call them Ro, Do, To, Mo, and Yo - in that order.
11. We also call them Furball, Sweetie, Fuzzball, Squirrelly, and Squirmy - in that order.
12. I'm an at-home vegetarian.
13. I've found it's difficult to eat vegetarian at restaurants and other people's homes.
14. I like writing refrigerator poetry.
15. I'll probably blog about the Magnetic Poetry on my fridge sometime.
16. I write songs.
17. I started playing violin when I was two years old.
18. I still play, but not as well as I think I should.
19. I play violin on the worship team at our church.
20. I also play flute, bass guitar and piano - none of them very well.
21. I have a purple living room.
22. When I was 19, I wore mostly shades of green and brown.
23. When I was 19, I wanted to have a boy and a girl someday with the names Willow and Aspen.
24. I have forgotten which name was for a girl and which was for a boy.
25. I love to garden.
26. I hate weeding, but I find it very satisfying when a weed comes out cleanly by the roots.
27. I love fresh veggies with no chemicals on them.
28. The Geek and I want to work towards being as self-sufficient as possible.
29. We're considering having a windmill or solar power to supplement our power supply.
30. We just sound crazy. We're really not.
31. I suppose number 30 is subjective.
32. I am an utterly devoted Christian.
33. I am an utterly devoted wife.
34. I am a mostly devoted Mac user.
35. I would never use Windows if I hadn't spent mega bucks on Photoshop before I got my Mac.
36. I sell Longaberger Baskets.
37. I am NOT a sales person by nature.
38. I only do this to feed my habit.
39. I love my digital camera.
40. I take WAY too many pictures of my cats.
41. My favorite clothing store is J. Jill.
42. I hardly own any clothes from there because it's too expensive.
43. My favorite ice cream is Breyer's Natural Vanilla.
44. I like it without any toppings.
45. My second favorite ice cream is Hagen Daaz Creme Brulee.
46. I think they discontinued that flavor. I can't find it anywhere.
47. We're building a dome home this year.
48. I'm the general contractor.
49. I don't know anything about building houses.
50. My grandma was one of my very favorite people in all the world.
51. My Geek is my very favorite.
52. Grandma died last year.
53. She was in 92.
54. I visited her for a couple weeks every summer from the time I was four until I was thirteen.
55. I rode the Greyhound bus by myself every year.
56. Things were a lot different then.
57. The fan that was in her living room while we played games back then, is now in my bedroom.
58. I really like the movie "Under the Tuscan Sun".
59. I have often thought that I might have moved somewhere far away on a whim if I hadn't gotten married when I did.
60. The reality is I wouldn't have because I'm too practical.
61. My husband does not think I'm practical.
62. He's probably right.
63. I really like living in the US, despite it's problems.
64. I hate the media.
65. They drive me crazy with their lies.
66. I hate talking politics.
67. I don't watch the news.
68. The news is worse than a scary movie because it's real.
69. I sometimes wonder how much of movies could be unintentionally prophetic.
70. When I was a little girl I used to wonder if I would ever wake up and realize that my entire life was just a dream.
71. I really like the first "Matrix" movie.
72. Based on #70, you can see why it freaked me out a little though.
73. I have an overactive imagination.
74. That can be good or bad, depending on how far I let it go.
75. I love smelly things like lotions and perfumes.
76. I have a lot of friends who are allergic to smelly things.
77. When I was 13, my favorite color was purple.
78. People thought I was a Prince fan, but I didn't have a single Prince album.
79. I never saw Purple Rain.
80. People are very protective of me.
81. A work friend's boyfriend once told her he would kill someone with his bare hands if they hurt me.
82. She wasn't jealous because he didn't have a crush on me.
83. I think it was just because I came off as a defenseless wimp.
84. I once went on an 8-hour hike in the Rocky Mountains with three guys.
85. I wasn't going to go, but someone told me I couldn't make it, so I went.
86. It was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life.
87. After sitting for a few minutes when we got back, I couldn't stand up again.
88. Someone had to carry me around the rest of the evening.
89. I was fine again in the morning.
90. I want to do that hike again, but I get tired after going up and down the stairs twice now.
91. I love to do crafty things.
92. Blond Girl keeps introducing me to new crafts.
93. She is responsible for my stamping and beading habits.
94. She is also responsible for all the scrapbooking stuff I have in a box waiting for me to use it.
95. I'll miss craft-shopping with her when she moves to another state.
96. I'll miss Sweet Girl just as much as I miss her mom.
97. I hate chocolate.
98. I don't like strawberries.
99. I'm really not a picky eater.
100. You've got to be kidding me! I actually came up with 100 things about me! Whooda thunkit.

22 Comments:

At 7/07/2005 10:13 AM, Blogger Finn wrote:

Hi - I'm here via Michele today.

Interesting list. We have a few things in common, but I don't know if I could actually be friends with someone who doesn't like strawberries and chocolate, as my favorite thing in the world is chocolate-covered strawberries! But I'm sure that's something I can learn to live with.. ;)

I don't know if the Creme Brulee was discontinued, but try the Dulce de Leche - I think it's fairly similar.

 
At 7/07/2005 10:32 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Thanks for visiting!

My husband has a hard time with the chocolate one. I do make him chocolate chip cookies occasionally...a true sacrifice since I can't stand the smell.

I have tried Dulce de Leche. I like it and it's an ok sub, but it doesn't have that distinct burnt sugar flavor that I love.

 
At 7/07/2005 11:01 AM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

I loved your list, even if you don't have cute feet (just echoing you - not making an opinion here).

And The Geek is right; you are crazy and you are not practicle. I mean, look at your cat's nicknames for crying out loud! Just teasing.

BTW - coming up with 100 things about you is easy. If you asked me, I could come up with 150 in a flash. try me. I might actually do it.

 
At 7/07/2005 11:10 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

I bet you would! Just don't expect me to do the same. That's a really hard post!

 
At 7/07/2005 12:02 PM, Blogger insaneperson wrote:

Hey cool list!

I'm a full-time computer geek and vegetarian. I can sympathize with you about finding it hard to be a vegetarian outside of your home. The last time I ate meat was about 2 years ago when I was on a road-trip and lodging at my friend's aunt's place. She didn't realize that we were vegetarians and she prepared a big meal which included some big beer brats. We didn't have the heart to say no to her since she had put so much work into preparing the food. I once read somewhere that although Gandhi was a vegetarian, he would always kindly partake in a meal that had meat in it if someone went out of their way to prepare it for him. At the time I found that fact odd, but since the time I read that I have had many experiences that made me understand.

Anyhow, i found your blog on technorati searching for "vegetarian". Keep on posting!

I love cats, but they make me sneeze :)

 
At 7/07/2005 12:16 PM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Thanks for visiting. It's always fun to meet someone with a common interest. I checked out Technorati - I'm pretty new to this blogging stuff and had never heard of it before. I love the fact that you can search blogs! How cool is that?

 
At 7/07/2005 12:34 PM, Blogger insaneperson wrote:

Technorati is my new addiction. I can spend all day reading through blogs, and it feels productive for some reason. Unlike TV, blogs are uncensored, interesting, have no-reruns, no commercials (very few ads), and are international! Even satellite televition can't compete with the net.

Thank goodness for my laptop and 3Mbit DSL line!

 
At 7/07/2005 10:30 PM, Blogger Heather wrote:

My brother hates chocolate, too. And I hate bread. My mother raised some strabge children, indeed. Good job on your 100 things post:-)

 
At 7/08/2005 8:16 AM, Blogger jules wrote:

Thanks for the comment (via Michele)! I'm going to read your list. I'm currently working on my own!

 
At 7/08/2005 8:27 AM, Blogger Vics wrote:

hello! Michele sent me.
I wonder what the chances are of a picture of 21? Oh wait - just got to 39... quite high then *grin* I love purple...

 
At 7/08/2005 8:34 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Thanks for visiting. I might have a pic of the purple living room floating around somewhere. I'll try to post one soon.

 
At 7/08/2005 9:32 AM, Blogger Michele wrote:

Stopping by to say hello....

Great list. However, somewhere in some bon-bon filled dream Willy Wonka is shaking his head in wonder at number ninety-seven.

Thank you for the many wonderful comments you have left at my site. Now I must add you to my blogroll.

 
At 7/08/2005 9:40 AM, Blogger Kristi wrote:

I hate chocolate too. We're a rare breed. Whenever I tell people I hate chocolate (and oh, I also dislike apple pie), they look at me as if I have two heads!

Oh, and Blond Girl sent me! I'll be back!

 
At 7/08/2005 9:54 AM, Blogger Pieces of Me wrote:

Hey here via michele! Great list! I have a few common things...got married young...very picky eater...but disagree with the love for chocolate and strawberries! TTYL

 
At 7/08/2005 9:54 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Thanks Michele! You know what's really warped is that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is one of my favorite movies. I can't wait for the new one to be released!

And Kristi! Blond Girl sent me to your blog too. I'll be visiting soon. I get the exact same response about chocolate. Proof positive - just take a look at the percentage of comments here about #97 vs. any other item on the list!

 
At 7/08/2005 10:51 AM, Blogger FTS wrote:

#32 is the best one. ;)

Thanks for visiting my site yesterday via Michele!

 
At 7/08/2005 11:03 AM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

see, you're obviously more interesting than me... I haven't gotten that many comments about my list and I have 101 things! :-)

 
At 7/08/2005 12:33 PM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Wow! Thanks to everyone who has visited and commented on this post! It's great fun to hear all your responses! I love visiting new (new to me anyway) blogs, so I'll be doing my best to stop by your blogs and say Hi if I haven't already. It might take me a few days though. Thanks!!!

 
At 7/08/2005 12:40 PM, Blogger Mixed Metaphor wrote:

Hi Geekwif,

I have always thought and continue to believe, that geeks are great. Cool people are very boring, they spend way too much time trying to look cool.

I loved #70 - when I was a girl, I was convinced that I was on camera all the time. Strange, because now I am behind a camera all the time.

I also used to think that when I played my Mary Poppins record, Julie Andrews was stuffed in a closet somewhere, attached to some weird device and had to come out and sing at my command.

Imagination is strange and wonderful, isn't it?

I liked your 100 things, I tried to do it, and ended up with 177.. its too long, I know.

I'll be back! (I know I got here somehow through Michele, but I think I might have come here via Wanderlust, I can't remember how I got here... too busy reading your blog!)

 
At 7/10/2005 2:15 PM, Anonymous Hot Rod Mamawarbucks wrote:

After all these years, I finally find out what the big "secret" was concerning #87 and 88. Mothers always DO find out. Amazing!

 
At 7/10/2005 6:43 PM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

I thought you knew #87 and 88. Oh well, it's #89 that really matters.

 
At 1/29/2006 8:36 AM, Blogger Jeana wrote:

Hi, linked to you from your biggest fan, Holymama! Enjoy your website so far--look forward to browsing more later. I lived in a dome house that my dad built when I was growing up. He wasn't professionsal either, but it turned out pretty well I think. Hope that works out well!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home