Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Refrigerator Poetry

Friday, July 22, 2005


Yesterday we had our house appraised. The appraiser was very nice and very professional as he scoured every room, every nook, every cranny of what has been our home for the past 8 years. Normally I might consider this an invasion of my personal space (I'm fiercely protective of my personal space, whether it be my home or the 3 foot bubble around my person), but I've never really felt connected to this place. It's been a home because it's where my husband and our cats live, nothing more.

We bought this house with the intention of fixing it up and building some equity, and that's exactly what we've done. It's been more of a business venture than a nest. The good part is that this business venture is allowing us to build our "home, sweet, home". But that's not what this post is about. I'll write on that topic another time.

While the appraiser was in my kitchen, he noticed the magnetic poetry on my refrigerator. It completely covers the freezer door - completed poems on the left - unused words on the right, organized into nouns, verbs, adjectives, prepositions, articles, etc. (Note: it drives me nuts when people come and messLink up my magnetic poetry. Play with it - fine. Make your own poem - great. Put a noun in the preposition area - get out of my house now!) He told me that he knows the guy who invented magnetic poetry. Or should I say Magnetic Poetry®. Yup, the guy's a millionaire now. We agreed that we both wish we had thought of it first.

I remember the first time I encountered MP. I was mall shopping with my friend, Little B. As we approached Brookstone, I saw this sheet of metal on an easel with little words all over it. I was immediately drawn to it as if I was a giant magnet myself. Little B was abandoned to shop Brookstone without me. If I had been conscious of anything but those magnetized words, I would have felt horrible for leaving her to shop by herself, but I was completely mesmerized by those amazing little words.

I never bought a set for myself (I can never buy anything for myself without feeling horribly guilty) but I have received two sets as Christmas gifts - one from the Scholar, and one from Blond Girl - so now they are plastered all over my freezer door and I write a poem now and then when I can take the time to do so. I'm lamenting having to take them down soon so we can move them to the next place. All that reorganization will be a pain and tearing apart my beloved poems will be heart-breaking.
So today I share with you my magnetic poems, plus two by guest poets. In honor of my guests, I will start with theirs. Please note that the seemingly ill-placed spaces are where a new magnet was used for a prefix or suffix.

First, a poem by Mr. AD.

I like to drive our car with chocolate

and an egg and water on a trip to the
enormous smell ly & repulsive lake of peach es



And one by the Geek (a guest to my freezer door studio, even though his home is mine)

can you see the cool blue void

lie ing behind my languid dreams



And finally, my own poems

but for my man I could not say

what mad storm would manipulate

the wind within me

I recall spring love

as we whisper like sea spray

together under the diamond moon

I may drool in my sleep
but I do not scream

a thousand red rose s

like honey when crush ed

sing to a sweet purple sky


eternity shine s

and the sun let s me run

delirious ly in it s luscious light


a powerful forest love s a winter y gown

but summer s delicate dress is for me


these are the mist y white shadow s

who live only in vision s
and
moment s of weak ness

3 Comments:

At 7/24/2005 12:15 AM, Blogger madmom wrote:

Why don't you put your poems as written on a cookie sheet to move them to the new place, then you won't have to tear them apart, unless of course you want to start over with a fresh canvas, so to speak?

 
At 7/24/2005 7:49 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

That's a great idea if I can keep them intact. Everything we own will be in storage for 3 or 4 months while we build our home. If I place them carefully laying flat in a box it might work.

Thanks for a great idea, madmom!

 
At 7/26/2005 8:50 AM, Blogger panthergirl wrote:

I LOVE those refrigerator magnet poetry things!!!! We need to get a new set. Thanks for reminding me...yours are great!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home