Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Where's My Focus?

Thursday, July 21, 2005


I told the Geek about the crackling weeds story. He chuckled mischievously and said, "Maybe there were cherubim in there." I rolled my eyes, "Riiight." I blew it off since I knew he was being sarcastic, but this morning as I was working in my yard I started thinking about it again.

For anyone to whom that cherubim statement made no sense at all, I will explain. My Geek and I are active members at our church - quite active actually as he is an associate pastor. People at our church tend to get excited really easily. I have no problem with that. Having grown up in Charismatic/Evangelical Christian churches, I'm pretty used to it. Cool stuff happens at our church sometimes and I get excited too, but I am more particular than some about what's worth getting excited over and I don't show my excitement outwardly very often. For better or worse, that's the way I am.

One of the things that people get really excited about is angels. Cherubim are a type of angel. Everyone at our church knows that the word "cherubim" is translated literally, "crackling ones". (Thus the Geek's wisecrack.) Supposedly they "crackle" in the presence of God. I'm not actually positive that this is true. I'm not saying it's not, I just don't know. I looked up "cherubim" in Strong's Concordance and it didn't say anything about crackling ones, but somewhere along the line someone said this and whether it's true or not, it stuck. I'm not terribly concerned about the truth of it, because it's not that important. No one's eternal destiny is determined by their definition of "cherubim".

Now here's where I get a little philosophical. While I don't think the literal translation of cherubim really matters, I do tend to get frustrated by what I see as people's excessive fascination with angels. Don't misunderstand me. I believe that angels exist. It's intriguing to know that there are supernatural things going on all around us. I think that angels serve a vital purpose on the earth.

And that's my point - they serve a purpose.

Angels are messengers. (That is a literal translation - angel=messenger - I know because my Geek told me so and he has a degree in Biblical Languages. Not bragging, just a fact.) They are God's work force - his henchmen, so to speak. They do His bidding among us whether it is keeping us from harm, gently nudging us toward a person in need, or just plain getting our attention. They are NOT to be worshipped (the Bible is very clear on this point!) and while I don't think people in my church worship angels, they sometimes step just one foot too close in that direction for my comfort.

Angels are another part of God's creation. He made them just like he made us. I suppose it's ok to get excited about angels - kind of like we would get excited if aliens came to earth. We wouldn't worship them (well, most of us wouldn't) but it would be pretty exciting in a "this doesn't happen every day" kind of way. But aside from that, it makes no sense to me to get that excited about something that is created by God just like us and is around us every day, even if we can't see them.

The leadership of our church understands the purpose of angels. I've heard it said from the pulpit that when we believe an angel is nearby (some people see them, some "sense" them, some even hear them) we should ask God what it's purpose is. Why is it here and what should my response be? Do I need to trust God in a scary situation because he sent His angel to protect me? Is there a person in need nearby that I can help? Have I gotten off track a bit and God is using an angel to get my attention and/or guide me back on track?

Frankly, if I'm going to get excited about anything at church or in my day-to-day life, I'd far rather it be about God. He's the Creator, not the created. He made the entire universe - stars, planets, plants, animals, people, me, the whole bit. As far as I know, an angel never made anything.

I hope this isn't too "preachy". I know I haven't talked a lot about my faith in this blog yet. It's the core of who I am so even if it doesn't blatantly appear in my posts it's always in my mind. This post is really just a random thought passing through my head that got a little out of control. I never want to forget what's really important, but it's easy to let your eyes wander in strange directions sometimes.

I guess what I'm saying is that if others can shift their focus to something less important than God, whether it be angels or some other distraction, then I could certainly do the same. I just want to keep my focus where it belongs.

2 Comments:

At 7/22/2005 10:54 AM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

I need to get back to work. The Big Company expects it, and since they're paying me, they have every right to expect it. In any case, I just wanted to drop in and say what a great set of thoughts this is. I, too, get a bit concerned and roll my eyes a few times more than neccesary over the angel fascination. I know they're there everyday and I can tell the story of when I saw one, but I also know why it was there; and God was at the core. Always the core of the issue, right? We get so caught up looking at the pretty wrapping that sometimes we forget to go to the important stuff inside.

Thanks for the reminder.

 
At 7/22/2005 11:37 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Thanks for understanding. I'm afraid I may come off as a little crazy here, but nonetheless it's what was on my mind.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home