Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

WOW - PG-13 My Butt!!!

Tuesday, July 05, 2005


There is something you may or may not know about me, depending on if you actually know me, or if you only know me by my blog.

I am NOT a scary movie person!!!

It does not take much to scare me and when it does, one of two things is likely to happen:

1. I will not get to sleep until it's almost time to wake up because my mind is buzzing trying to convince itself that it really was just a movie and it can't happen to me and most people would never do the abominable things portrayed in the movie.
2. I will sleep, but I will have horrifying, wake-you-up-in-a-sweat dreams all night.

I don't know why I'm like that. I just am. So I generally try to avoid those kind of movies. If a movie looks interesting but might be too much for me, my Geek will screen it for me. Over the years he has gotten really good at judging what I can and cannot handle. There is one flaw in my avoidance plan, though - the group movie outing.

When it's just the Geek and me, I can easily veto any movie that I don't think I can handle. He loves me, he knows me, and he understands that I know when I shouldn't watch a certain movie. It's a different story in groups. It's not that my friends and family don't love me. They just don't know me like he does.

For instance, a few years ago we were going to rent a movie and watch it with a couple of friends. They wanted to watch a movie that I did not. I tried to convince them to rent something else, but I was outnumbered. They assured me that it wasn't too gory, so I grudgingly agreed to watch it. I don't remember the name of the movie, but after watching some guy's neck get broken, a girl's hand get severed, among other gory, nasty scenes, I spent the night tossing and turning from nightmares.

I swore I would never let myself be coerced into watching a movie against my wishes again. Tonight I broke that promise. We were out with the Geek's family and they wanted to see War of the Worlds. After they explained to me that it was rated PG-13, I agreed to join them. I have just one question.

HOW is the movie rated PG-13???!!

So as not to go into too much detail, I will just say that it is very graphic. There are times when the entire landscape is painted red. As in blood. PG-13? I don't think so!!

It is time for bed now and I hope to be able to sleep in spite of what I just saw - without nightmares. In closing, if you are also sensitive to terror and gore in movies, do NOT go see this movie! It's just not worth it.

13 Comments:

At 7/05/2005 11:15 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

You need to do what Sweet Girl does. Just pray and say, "Dear Jesus, thank You for today. Please help me sleep all night long and stay dry and have no bad dreams. And help me remember that you're the biggest!" OK, maybe the stay dry part won't be that hepful, but I pretty sure He would be more than happy to help with the sleep all night with no bad dreams part....

 
At 7/05/2005 11:19 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

I am completely offended!

Here I am, your best friend in all the world and you move the link to my blog down to the 7th position?!?!?!

And don't give me any of that "well, it's alphabetical" tripe, either. I trump the alphabet and we both know it!

Boy, you better watch out....

:-)

 
At 7/06/2005 7:32 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I managed to get a relatively good sleep last night. I was pretty restless, with weird dreams, but no outright nightmares.

About the link? Yeah, whatever. ;-) You should have seen me fighting with BlogRoller. I finally decided that prioritizing EVERY blog I EVER want to link to is just not worth it.

Kind of like scary movies. :-)

 
At 7/06/2005 9:17 AM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

OK.. so add that to the list of things for which I need your help; blogroller!

BTW, did you notice I managed to post a photo? It is a little fuzzy and I'm still not sure how I managed it... but it's there!

 
At 7/06/2005 9:47 AM, Blogger Cin wrote:

Hello, Michele sent me!

I have a tough time in the movie theatres these days too - seems like quite often violence is done to or done by a large percentage of the characters, and this is considered quite normal.

 
At 7/06/2005 9:47 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

I noticed the pic! I'm so proud of you, my little computer-learning-protege.

Blogroll is pretty easy. Call me, we'll talk about it.

 
At 7/06/2005 9:52 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Welcome, Cin!

I must admit, the violence in this movie was pretty integral to the story. I don't know if that makes it better or worse. Just give me a nice romantic, funny story where no one dies - not violently, anyway.

I'd much rather walk away from a movie feeling happy and sappy, than freaked out and thinking "Oh my Lord, we're all gonna die!" Maybe it's a girl thing.

 
At 7/06/2005 3:55 PM, Blogger MommaK wrote:

So what movie was it??

I usually like scary movies but I can't stand anything that is about children being kidnapped or hurt. Those are the ones that give me nightmares.

 
At 7/06/2005 4:04 PM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Sorry. I did mention it, but very briefly and it's buried in a paragraph. The movie was War of the Worlds. (Hence the WOW post title. Am I clever or what? Ha!)
There was no violence specifically against children. It was more general violence against the entire human race.

 
At 7/06/2005 4:55 PM, Blogger KV wrote:

I love scary movies

 
At 7/06/2005 8:53 PM, Blogger -xtessa- wrote:

thanks for visiting my blog!

i'm still hesitant to see this movie. it got some bad reviews and TC is just turning me off right now. he should stop with all that bull!;)

 
At 7/06/2005 9:57 PM, Blogger Heather wrote:

I don't like gory movies either. And I really have no desire to see that movie!

 
At 7/06/2005 11:50 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

you want to see a great movie? Go see Batman Begins. It's the best of the batman movies and Christian Bale has it all over Tom Cruise! Champs and I loved it! Let's see; there was no nudity. No cursing that I can remember (but don't quote me on it) and very little blood. There is a fair amount of fighting and two pretty good fire/explosion scenes, but hey, it's batman! Things have got to blow up, right?

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home