Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Kevin and Kell

Monday, August 22, 2005



Something I haven't told about myself on this blog yet is that I read a list of online comics as part of my morning routine. Thanks to Daddy Warbucks, I have always enjoyed reading newspaper comics. Every Sunday morning he and I would wake up to Blondie, Peanuts, Hagar, and the rest of the Sunday funnies gang.

After getting married, my Geek and I continued the tradition. Sometime after getting online in about 1995 or so, we discovered that we could read our comics online. Over the years, a multitude of online-only comics has sprung up and, in fact, there are whole web communities of comic writers and readers.

We each (the Geek and I) have a list of comics we like to read each morning online. Some we share, some I read and he doesn't, and some vice versa. Kevin and Kell is one of the comics we both enjoy reading.

It's the ongoing story of a family of animals who co-habitate pleasantly (for the most part) in a tree. The family consists of Kell, an average wolf mom who holds down a corporate job at Herd Thinners Inc.; Kevin, a very large rabbit who recently revealed that he used to be a world famous wrestler; Lindesfarne, a hedgehog daughter adopted by Kevin and his first wife who is leaving for college this week; Rudy, Kell's son from her first marriage and a typical teenage wolf; and Coney, Kevin and Kell's young daughter who looks like a rabbit but eats like a carnivore. The cast of characters is rounded out by the family, friends, and neighbors of the core comic family.

It was revealed at the K&K website this morning that this is the 10th anniversary of the comic strip. As a way to promote the auspicious day, it has been suggested that each reader introduce one other person to the strip, so here I am, being an overachiever (which is NOT my norm) and inviting anyone who might read my blog to go see Kevin and Kell. If you really enjoy it, you can read the archives to get the back story.

This is a great comic with themes of everyday family life blended nicely with the nature of the animals involved. The Geek and I have been getting good laughs out of it for a few years now. I hope you will enjoy it too.

6 Comments:

At 8/22/2005 9:13 AM, Anonymous Nancy wrote:

I will check out Kevin and Kell, sounds like a fun strip.

Michele sent me, HI!

 
At 8/22/2005 9:59 AM, Blogger yellojkt wrote:

Kevin and Kell is done by Bill Holbrook, the same guy that does Fastrack and Safe Havens. Pretty funny stuff.

Have you ever surfed the Comics Curmudgeon site. It has a very active and sarcastic discussion forum.

 
At 8/22/2005 10:54 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Comics Curmudgeon sounds like fun. I'll have to take a look. Thanks for the tip.

 
At 8/23/2005 8:27 AM, Anonymous nancy wrote:

LOL! I came here yesterday from Michele's.

Good Morning and I did read Kevin and Kell this morning.

 
At 8/23/2005 8:36 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

I'm glad you enjoyed K&K, Nancy. Thanks for coming back!

 
At 8/25/2005 8:32 AM, Blogger Michelle wrote:

Good morning! Michele sent me. Have a great day!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home