Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Thesaurus.com Is My Friend

Tuesday, August 16, 2005


I'm about to reveal a deep, dark secret. It's the kind of secret that could change your opinion of me forever; the kind of secret that could turn the tide and compel you to adore me or despise me; the kind of secret that could shake the very foundation of the relationships I hold dear.

Well, maybe not that kind of secret.

I love thesaurus.com.

It has been a favorite site since I first discovered it years ago, along with dictionary.com. I have become even more enamoured with it since I started blogging. Why use a word like easy, when you could use any of a mulititude of fascinating words? Why not use effortless, elementary, evident, facile, inconsiderable, manageable, manifest, mere, obvious, painless, paltry, simple, slight, straightforward, uncomplicated, undemanding, uninvolved, untroublesome, wieldy, or yielding
instead?

When it comes to the English language, grammar and spelling are my forte. My vocabulary leaves something to be desired. Sometimes it's just that I can't think of the more suitable word at the moment. Thesaurus.com gives me the mental nudge that I need to recall that perfect word.
This is one of the reasons why I love blogging so much. You can't pull a thesaurus out of your pocket everytime you are about to use a humdrum word in a verbal conversation. Blogging gives me the luxury of choosing my words carefully, and of having a window with my virtual thesaurus awaiting my beck and call.

You needn't worry though, that I might fall into the "thesaurus black hole". I promise never to write entire paragraphs or even sentences of thesaurus inspired words. (Wasn't there a Friends episode where Joey did that? I can't remember the details.) The day you read, "Salutations, object of my affections. I am domesticized. What's for the principal meal?" on my blog, you have my permission to send me a scathing comment. Or perhaps an online intervention of the blogging community would be more appropriate.

In the meantime, my secret is out, and I don't care! I'll proclaim to the world...

I'm a thesaurus user, and I'm proud of it!!

Or perhaps I should say...

I'm a lexicon addict, and I'm boastful of it!!

7 Comments:

At 8/16/2005 9:48 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

I must admit that you and I are similar yet distinctly different. I have a vast vocabulary. At work I am called the walking thesauras. However, I stink at spelling. Therefore, I often turn to dictionary.com. I must admit, though, to the judicious use of the dictionary and thesaurus tools in Microsoft Word on a daily basis.

So, honey, now that I'm home, what is for dinner, anyway? :-)

 
At 8/17/2005 11:54 AM, Anonymous MissMeliss wrote:

Oh, thank you for the lovely birthday wishes. I have a huge vocabulary, but rarely exercise it. Laziness I guess.

My fairy wish for you, which is cc'd to the comments section of my blog, is this:
I wish that you may perish the notion that you are not a wise, witty, and often brilliant writer. Your words are engaging, and natural.

 
At 8/17/2005 12:24 PM, Blogger Kristi wrote:

Good for you for wanting to boost your vocabulary. And with regard to dictionary.com, I still follow my mother's advice to me when I was a child: "If you come across a word you aren't familiar with, look it up in the dictionary." Doing that, and having taken 4 years of Latin in HS, has improved my vocabulary enormously.

 
At 8/17/2005 2:37 PM, Blogger FattyPants wrote:

I probably have the vocabulary of a six year old :p I stalked you in from michele's site of the day. so uh, yeah michele sent me

 
At 8/17/2005 3:26 PM, Anonymous Claire wrote:

YES I am not alone!! Theasaurus.com and Dictionary.com are 2 of my favourite sites. They are also 2 of the sites that get me the strangest looks when referring people to them...the kind of looks that say...how on earth can you look that excited about this type of site...you know what I mean! Great to know I'm not alone!!

I'm here from Michele's...HIYA!!

 
At 8/17/2005 10:48 PM, Blogger Dave wrote:

LOL... Joey! Episode 10.05, perhaps? :)

Thanks for the visit today! I hope you'll come back again!!

 
At 8/18/2005 12:18 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

That's the episode I was thinking of! Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home