Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Thesaurus.com Redux

Thursday, August 18, 2005


Many thanks to Dave Diamond! He knew which episode of Friends I was referring to in my previous thesaurus.com post! It was episode 10.05, "The One Where Rachel's Sister Babysits". Here's the part I was thinking of...

Monica: It doesn't make any sense.
Joey: Of course it does. It's smart! I used a thesaurus!
Chandler: On every word?
Joey: Yep.
Monica: All right, what was this sentence, originally?
Joey: Oh. "They're warm, nice people with big hearts."
Chandler: And that became, "They're humid, pre-possessing homosapiens with full-sized aortic pumps?"

That is classic Friends if I ever saw it. A definite LOL moment.

And with that, I'm going to bed to see if I can catch up to those pesky, evasive zzz's.

4 Comments:

At 8/18/2005 1:25 AM, Blogger Me wrote:

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog! I thought for a minute when I reading through a bunch of your stuff that you were a good friend of mine from college. Then I saw that you got married in 92, and realized that couldn't be. Ah well. She's the only person I know in Minnesota. But you sound just as fun as her! :)

 
At 8/18/2005 7:09 AM, Blogger Star wrote:

Hi Geekwif. You commented above me on Blond Girl this morning so I am here via Michele with a detour. I took a peek at thesaurus.com. It's a little slow loading this morning so I am going back to sign up for the word of the day email.

 
At 8/18/2005 7:09 PM, Blogger Star wrote:

Hi. Me again. Today's Phila. Inquirer had an article about a new thesaurus to be published next month. It is titled "Thinker's Thesaurus". You can read the article here: http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/magazine/daily/12409626.htm

You may need to sign up with the site. THere is also a listng on Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0972993789/qid=1124409535/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-5697698-6838558?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I thought you might find it interesting.

 
At 8/18/2005 7:22 PM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

That looks really interesting! It is now on my Amazon wish list!

Blond Girl and I were just at Barnes and Noble today, poring over a table of writing and grammar books. Another I really want is "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves". Looks like a great book!

Thanks for the tip, Star!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home