Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

T.P. Misuse?

Saturday, August 20, 2005


Ok, I'm sitting waiting for the person who is going to walk in make a huge offer on our house to show up to the open house. Since I'm just waiting, I decided to check out my Site Meter stats. I've never checked out the recent visitors by referring pages before, but I decided to try it just for fun. Most are coming from other bloggers pages - Blond Girl, Interrupted Wanderlust, Blog Blah Blah, Michele - and a couple I didn't know had blogrolled me until today - Intricate Art and Thumper. How fun is that?!

One referral of particular interest though, was from a search engine. I've seen other bloggers list some of the searches that bring people to their sites. It's fun and kind of crazy the things searchers look for that you would never dream would lead to your site. There was only one search in my top twenty referrals. What do you think they searched for?


Yup, you read it right. I was 10th in line of the top results for a search on "toilet paper misuse". Now, there's something you must understand about me. I really don't like bathroom humor and I'm adamantly against public display of what should be private noises emerging from one's body. I would far rather someone found me by looking up "cute kitty cat" or "pretty purple living room". But no. I got "toilet paper misuse". I guess that's what I get for writing this post.

And I don't even want to know what that person was thinking who did this search. I just don't want to know.

10 Comments:

At 8/20/2005 6:38 PM, Blogger Heather wrote:

I am always surprised at how people end up on my site. Isn't it strange?

 
At 8/20/2005 7:47 PM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

It is strange. And kind of scary. And now I'm thinking that since I did this post with the words "toilet paper" in it a dozen times, I might get even more hits from people who have a strange fascination with t.p.

 
At 8/20/2005 8:08 PM, Blogger Dawn wrote:

I was looking for a way to find out how people get to my site. It always interesting to find out.

I am here via Michele

 
At 8/20/2005 8:54 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

This was pretty funny! Is this part of the haloscan or some other program? If it's site meter, I have that... how did you get these stats? If it's blogroller, I signed up, (I think) but I may need to sit down with you to see how it works...

 
At 8/21/2005 7:21 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Hi Dawn. Thanks for visiting.

Site Meter is great. If you've got Site Meter running on your blog (Blond Girl, I know you do since you recommended it to me.) just click on your number to get to the site summary. On the bar on the left under "recent visitors", click on "by referrals". It's all there.

BG, we'll talk about Blogroller sometime.

 
At 8/21/2005 8:09 AM, Blogger Sharon wrote:

Site Meter is fun, isn't it? I like the World Map....

There's no telling how people find us with their searches. It's pretty funny, really!

 
At 8/21/2005 8:39 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Ok, I had to try the world map since you mentioned it Sharon. That is fun! Most of my visitors are from the US, but I've also had visitors from France, Hong Kong, United Arab Emirates, Singapore, the UK. How cool!

 
At 8/21/2005 7:42 PM, Blogger Leanne wrote:

I am looking forward to your detailed entry about proper toilet paper handling. I would hate to see people seeking out violations and not finding them, this is the world wide web.

LOL

 
At 8/22/2005 11:06 AM, Blogger Beth wrote:

HA! Checking referrals is a nice reminder of how many utter freaks are on the internet...you should see some of the weird stuff I get, too. LOTS of misspelled nastiness, thanks to my "White Trash Wednesday" posts. ;-)

Thanks for dropping by my site! :-D

(And hi Leanne! ::waving up there::)

 
At 8/27/2005 1:41 AM, Blogger utenzi wrote:

Hi Geekwif! I've never looked into what drives folk to my site. I'll have to try that but I'm quite sure that 'toilet tissue misuse' won't be my big pull. LOL

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home