Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

A Treasure from Sweet Girl

Tuesday, August 02, 2005


I should be doing something else, like packing boxes, learning how to build a house, making phone calls, but this fell out of my Bible this morning and I had to share. I couldn't wait for another day because it's all about the cute today and this is about as cute as it gets. Yeah, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

A couple weeks ago, Sweet Girl came running up to me at church on Sunday morning as is our routine. I need Sweet Girl hugs as often as possible and she's quite generous with them. Mid-hug, she pulled back, looked me in the eyes and announced that she had a card for me in her car and gravely instructed me that I was not to leave without it!

After church, I obediently followed her family out to their car and gratefully received the card she had so carefully crafted just for me. What an honor to be godmother to such a precious girl. Treasures from Sweet Girl are some of the most valuable I have.

On the front of the card are Sweet Girl and myself. Her renderings are quite accurate, actually. The hair length is about right and I have a bit of meat on my bones. ;-) Of course, neither of us is quite this purple - well maybe in a Midwest February but not in July - but creative license is granted abundantly to 5 year old artists.

Inside the card she wrote a personal note on the left and on the right in pink (the perfect color for expressions of affection) she wrote "I LOVE YOU [GEEKWIF]". I'm pretty sure she did this on her own. She's a great little reader and not a bad writer either. She dictated the note on the left to Blond Girl as the following:
"Dear [Geekwif],
I love you and I will miss you when you move to a new house. And I love you when you spend time with me, Dear [Geekwif]."

She is so darn sweet I can hardly stand it. If she were any sweeter I'd be chugging water right now, but as it is I think she's just about perfect. Yup, Sweet Girl is definitely the epitome of cuteness.

2 Comments:

At 8/08/2005 9:02 AM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

I was just reading this, and Sweet Girl came over and said "Hey, that's the card I made for Geekwif! Did you put that on the computer?" "No", I told her, "Geekwif did". "Wow!" she exclaimed and then ran off to go get dressed as a princess.

And yes, she did write the inside by herself. Yes, she is a good reader and writer and finally, yes, she is too sweet for words.

 
At 8/08/2005 9:13 AM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

Post script... Sweet Girl just had me help her get into her princess clothes. As we were putting the crown on, she said, "I'm getting pretty good at this Princess thing". :-)

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home