Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

All About Me Monday

Monday, September 19, 2005


(Thanks to Mama at Millenium Hippies for this idea.)

Starting today, Mondays are "All About Me" here at Chez Geekwif. That means I pull an item from my "100 Things" and post about it. Today, we start with #1 on my list.

1. I am married to a professional computer geek.

He wasn't a computer geek when we got married, though he's always been a geek. The guy is a genius - literally. He doesn't like to talk about it because he feels like he's bragging; but as his adoring wife, I claim bragging rights for him.

When we met, he was a waiter at Perkins which meant weird hours sometimes, but it also meant flexible hours which was good since he started Bible College about a week after our wedding day. After having worked a total of 10 years at Perkins, he decided it was time for a change.

He tried carpentry, but that didn't agree with him. His toes didn't like it too much either. After having dropped a 2x6 on end on his big toe twice (we both have issues with toes), he figured this wasn't the job for him.

At this point he started thinking about computers. A friend of ours had recently achieved a computer programming certificate at a local tech school and immediately landed a great job. The Geek had always been interested in computers, so he decided to give it a try. He enrolled in school and visited a temp agency for computer techies to get a part-time job.

He took their test without having studied at all and failed it, but the guy must have seen potential in him. He sent the Geek home with a list of books to read and told him to come back when he'd gotten through them and he could take the test again. He spent the next week poring over 4" thick technical books about Windows and when he returned, he passed the test - not with flying colors, but he passed nonetheless and landed a temp job as a phone tech at a large computer company.

After school he got a job at a friend's consulting company and worked there for several years, but the company wasn't doing great and when they had to ask him to take a pay cut from an already low salary, he decided it was time to leave. That week he was chatting with a friend about this dilemma and his friend exclaimed that his company was just about to list a job for a Systems Administrator at Monster.com. He took the Geek's resume to the people hiring and got him an immediate interview. They held off on the Monster ad and ended up hiring him the following week.

Now my Geek spends all day keeping the computer network and phone systems running smoothly, creating computer programs for the company's various needs, answering tech calls, etc. They have since hired a second to help him, and they keep very busy, but he loves his job. At home he keeps up-to-date on the latest computer technologies, both for business and for his own enjoyment.

He's turned me into a little bit of a geek myself. I can find my way around a computer better than your average joe, but my skills don't even begin to compare to his. I can ask him a question about just about anything computer related and he could easily give a 10 minute detailed answer. I must admit, it's nice having a techie at home to keep our computers running smoothly.

Once upon a time, my "ideal man" was a long-haired rock musician. Instead I have a short-haired computer geek. I like it better that way. In fact, I think I'll keep him.

4 Comments:

At 9/19/2005 12:23 PM, Blogger Michelle wrote:

here via Michele! who knew geekiness was contagious? great post :)

 
At 9/19/2005 2:06 PM, Blogger Dave wrote:

ME monday, I thought it was MEME monday! :)

 
At 9/19/2005 10:51 PM, Blogger Heather wrote:

I'm married to a computer geek too. Computer Science degree. Senior Systems Analyst.

 
At 9/20/2005 6:58 AM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

See, I told you it was meme!

And it's good that he's not the rocker type - and the hair is way better now than when you got married, yes?

The two of you together make me smile; which is good, since the Geek alone can make me gnash my teeth sometimes! (tee hee!)

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home