Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Busy, Busy, Busy

Tuesday, September 06, 2005


It's been a busy, busy weekend and the busy isn't about to stop anytime soon. Actually, Monday was not busy - by choice only. It could have been, but I chose to take a day off. Here's a quick run-down of what my weekend looked like.

Friday
Our weekend started Friday. The Geek took the day off to help me prepare for our Truth-In-Housing inspection that afternoon and to be there while a complete stranger roamed around our house checking out details that we didn't even know existed after living here for eight years.

For those who have never heard of a Truth-In-Housing inspection (I hadn't until last week), ours is apparently one of only 6 cities in the entire U.S. that requires sellers to have this inspection and requires that you repair the things that don't live up to it's standards - things like a tiny little plug in a side pipe off the floor drain in your basement, vacuum breakers on any faucet that could have a hose attached to it, and the proper kind of gas pipe on your dryer, among about a million other things. Fortunately, we passed. That part's over. Now we just need to get this house sold!

Saturday
Saturday was sad. We attended the funeral of an eleven-year-old boy from our church who died of cancer on Wednesday after a long, painful battle. I didn't know him well, but after hearing what friends and family had to say about him, I wish I did.

Sunday
Church in the morning, followed by a road trip out to our building site. The Geek hadn't seen the camper yet, so we trekked out there (any excuse to get out there is a good one!) so he could see the little 20' x 7' space we'll call home for a few months while we are building. If you'd like to see it, check out this post at our Dome Geeks blog.

Monday
Labor Day! Perhaps it should be called "Laborless Day". We sat around and did nothing...well almost nothing. I cleaned the litter boxes in the morning (blecchhh) did one sinkload of dishes, went to my parent's place to pick up a Red Pine sapling they had gotten free at the State Fair (They have no place for it on their city lot, and they knew that we want trees to plant on our new lot.), and stopped at the grocery store to pick up a lazy deli dinner. The rest of the day was spent watching a movie (Mona Lisa Smile) and playing games on our PS2 while my Geek played computer games on the PC. Ahhh sweet rest.

Today, it's back to work, finishing the laundry, cleaning this place up after a weekend of neglect, calling potential sub-contractors, filling out paperwork to apply for a building permit. Yeah it may be a "Tuesday-Monday" but I gotta admit, I love this job.

1 Comments:

At 9/07/2005 11:53 AM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

OK, so I am jealous of your job! IT's a good thing I like mine. I'm glad you rested on Monday. We all need those days, though we didn't get one on Monday!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home