Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

The Calm in the Midst of a Storm

Sunday, September 18, 2005



Yesterday was good. This week has been nothing but craziness, disappointments, and stress; but yesterday was a moment's peace in the midst of chaos.

Last weekend we drove out to the area where we will be building, under the pretense of inspecting a storage facility for storing nearly everything we own while we build our home next year. Of course, the true motivation for our trip was to stop at the lot, because we simply can't get enough of it, even if we can only spend a few minutes there at a time. When we ran out of excuses to stay any longer, the Geek came up with a brilliant plan, which we executed yesterday.

We packed up our screen tent, comfy lawn chairs, some favorite books, and a picnic lunch and headed out to our new favorite place in the world. The wind tried to blow the tent away as we pitched it for the first time, but we eventually prevailed. Our chairs and a card table fit quite comfortably in the little outdoor room.

We settled in, he with his Lord of the Rings trilogy in one volume, and I with my half-finished Emma, and simply relaxed and read with the above view before us all day. Eventually we got hungry so we chatted a bit while we had our simple lunch of crackers, cheese, meat (beef salami for him and turkey salami for me), and grapes. After cleaning up lunch to keep the insects from invading the leftovers, we settled back in to our books, happy just to be breathing fresh air - air that belongs to us as does the land we sat on.

As Jane Austen's characters played out their story in the words before me, I heard a quiet voice carrying over the field of grass. "Hello. Hello?" When I realized what I was hearing, I turned to see a woman standing on the border of our lot with her dog, smiling and waving. "Someone's here to visit!" I exclaimed to the Geek. We went out to meet her, as if the border of our lot were our front door and her "Hello, " the doorbell on our new alfresco home.

The first visitor to our new "home" was a potential neighbor. She is considering purchasing the lot next to ours, and after speaking with us and finding out that we truly are building a dome home (her realtor had filled her in on this fact), she is even more interested. In fact she will probably build a dome home there herself, giving us a little neighborhood of domes. (We told this to a friend today and he laughed and said something about a "big field of bubbles". Oh well. I guess if we're going to live in an unconventional home I'll have to get used to such comments.) We're pretty excited about the possibility.

After a pleasant visit with our guest and her pretty dog, we said our "good bye's" and "pleasure to meet you's," and we headed back to our screened shelter as she took a walk around the lot she hopes to buy.

The remaining few hours of the day consisted of propping up the camper on blocks, helping the Geek's grandparents with their computer and enjoying a nice home-cooked supper in typical loving grandma style, the long drive home, and the last hour of The Two Towers on DVD, before falling into bed exhausted from a beautiful, exhilarating, pleasant, and peaceful day.

2 Comments:

At 9/18/2005 10:19 PM, Blogger Heather wrote:

Sounds so relaxing!

 
At 9/18/2005 10:42 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

congratulations! you need such a day every now and again. champs and I didn't get anything done but it wasn't by design; we were just too beat to do anything. Paid for it today though! The only down time I had was at your house for tacos (yummy, btw!)

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home