Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Dreams Delayed and the Job Search Begins

Tuesday, September 13, 2005


Our dream home is being put on hold. It's just a temporary thing - maybe 6 months or so - but we won't be selling our house and building a new one until next spring. Many factors contributed to this decision, but it boils down to this:

Winter is coming soon. Realistically, the earliest we could start building is December. We'd like to avoid living in the camper or renting an apartment over the winter. If we stay here in our current house, we'll still be paying down the mortgage for a while. Not by much, but it will make a small dent. The market typically starts to pick up in January/February. If we put it on the market then, we can sell and hopefully start building in the spring.

Is it disappointing? Yes.

Is it the right thing to do? Unfortunately, yes.

Will I survive? Yes.

So I am now actively searching for a job. I was going to wait until we got out there, but since that's going to be 6 months and I won't be as busy with general contracting our house in the meantime, I must look now.

I hate this with a passion. I know everyone hates looking for a job, so maybe I'm over-reacting, but it has always been this horrifying thing for me. For instance, today I received a call back from a temp agency I sent my resume to yesterday. The conversation went well and I have an interview and assessment with them tomorrow.

I realize that this is a good thing. It's why I applied, right? Yet, I went into panic mode. I couldn't force myself to concentrate on anything for about an hour after the call and every time I think about tomorrow I can feel that nasty panicky feeling in my chest. I'm not prone to panic attacks or anything. Job hunting and interviews are the only things that do this to me.


I can't wait until this is over. I really can't wait.

8 Comments:

At 9/13/2005 8:42 PM, Blogger Heather wrote:

Good luck! I hate job interviews too.

 
At 9/14/2005 9:56 AM, Blogger Kristi wrote:

Aww... it must have been a hard decision to postpone building. I know how much you were looking forward to that. But you're right, for the reasons you wrote about, it sounds like the correct decision. Good luck in your job hunt. It's always a challenge, but a learning experience at the same time.

 
At 9/14/2005 10:06 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

Knowing you as I do, though you hate it, you will thrive and learn some pithy new lesson to take you through life. You're better at that than I am. I pretty much just bitch until I get my way. Don't I? Yeah, I know. I don't. I just want to think that I do.

 
At 9/14/2005 10:22 PM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Heather and Kristi, thanks for the well wishes. The interview went well.

BG, actually you do complain until you get your way, but usually only when customer service (or a lack thereof) is involved. :) And thanks for thinking so highly of me. I never realized that I do that.

 
At 9/15/2005 9:47 AM, Blogger Cin wrote:

Hi there, Michele sent me.

I can commiserate - I don't know of a single person who actually enjoys the job hunt. No matter how prepared you think you are, there's always that sense that you've been thrown into something blindly, isn't there?

Having said that, you've got more on your side than most - intelligence and charm are a killer combo during an interview. Good luck!

 
At 9/15/2005 7:13 PM, Blogger Better Safe Than Sorry wrote:

just dropped in to say thanks for visiting my blog earlier. job hunting is never a pleasant task, but sometimes you just have to do it. good luck with your search!

 
At 9/16/2005 7:28 AM, Anonymous Thaleia wrote:

Yeah, job interviews aren't really that much fun... totally stresses me out too, but hey... you have to do them...

Good luck with the job hunting and with the now house!

Here via Michele's

 
At 9/16/2005 7:36 AM, Blogger TC wrote:

Good luck! I have worked with Temp agencies and really like it!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home