Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Oh Where, Oh Where Have My Kitty Cats Gone?

Wednesday, September 07, 2005


On Friday afternoon we had our truth-in-housing inspection done. It was a beautiful day so we had all the windows and the front door open. The front screen door takes a firm tug to latch properly, so I usually will discreetly close it myself behind anyone who enters.

When the inspector came, I forgot to latch the door. Maybe it was due to my nervousness over whether we would pass the inspection. Maybe I was just exhibiting my habit of forgetfulness. I don't know.

Shortly after the inspector's arrival, he, the Geek, and I headed down to the basement. The bulk of the items on the checklist are in the basement, so we spent a good 1/2 hour down there. When we were finally done, I was the first to leave the basement.

As I entered the living room, I saw Yoyo, one of our cats, coming back into the house through the front door which was open just a crack. This was not a good thing. Our cats are not outdoor cats. They remain safely indoors at all times. We live near a busy street and there are a lot of mean old stray tomcats around who would be more than willing to pick a fight with one of my whimpy little kitties. Yoyo is the most skittish of all of them, so the others would probably have made it out before he would have.

I got Yoyo safely inside, latched the door to prevent any more potential escapees, and started counting cats while the Geek and the inspector continued on without me. There were only 3 cats in the house. Maestro and Mozart were missing. I went to their typical hiding places with a open can of stinky food in my hand waving it around and calling, "kitty kitty kitty," but they didn't come out. I knew that meant they were outside. My cats are very predictable.

I went outside, stinky food still in hand, calling and waving the smelly stuff around hoping the scent would entice them back from wherever they are. I searched behind bushes, peered into neighbors yards, gazed down the street, but they weren't anywhere to be seen.

I returned to the house, trying to remain calm, but feeling pretty agitated at this point. The Geek asked if I found them and I fought the catch in my throat as I told him I had not. I could feel myself fighting the urge to panic. I went back to the front door and looked out - just in case.

Maestro was there. I opened the door and grabbed him. He was filthy, dirt embedded in his long sleek fur. The little stinker loves to roll around in the dirt like a pig.

I was relieved to have him back, but Mozart was still missing. The inspector was upstairs by this time and checking out our under-eaves closet. He saw a cat hiding back there and proclaimed that he had found Mozart. (Having just met us, he didn't know which cat was which.) I looked but didn't see a cat. I called but he didn't come. I knew the cat he saw was Beethoven, not Mozart. I know my cats. Mozart craves attention above all other things. If he was in the house he would have been following us around begging for love.

I was beginning to lose the battle against panic. What would I do if he was lost? I couldn't bear it. My Geek would be at least as devastated as I was, if not more. Mozart is his little buddy. He follows the Geek around like a puppy. When the Geek comes home each evening, Mozart watches him come up the walk, meowing at the top of his lungs in excitement. We would both be devastated if we lost that sweet little guy.

I was just about to open the door to go out and search some more when I heard a familiar low-pitched mrow. I looked down, and sure enough, there he was. My MoMo had returned. I scooped him up, fighting Maestro to keep him from getting out again (that bit of fresh air apparently left him wanting more), and breathed a giant sigh of relief. All my kitties were safe at home.

It's now Wednesday - almost a week later - and the three of them are still occasionally hanging out at the door pawing and meowing. They've been doing this for 5 days now and Yoyo, usually the coward, is the worst of the lot. I don't know what they encountered out there but it must have been good, because they definitely want more. Yeesh. Just wait until we get out to the country. I can't imagine how squirrelly they'll be then.

5 Comments:

At 9/07/2005 9:31 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

OK, first, you've been spammed. I hate that! I would turn on comment verification if I were you.

Now, to the real business!!! About the middle of the post I had tears in my eyes! Not Mo & Stro! (isn't that mystro's nickname?) Anyway, they are the best of the lot, specially Mo! I was remembering how it felt when we lost Max (Man, I still miss that cat!).

I am so glad he came home. Don't do that to me again!

 
At 9/07/2005 9:59 PM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Maestro is Ro. And I'm so glad they cam home too. :)

I've been putting off comment verification for as long as possible. I know a lot of bloggers are using it now and I will too when I really need to, but this is only the 2nd spam I've gotten in all the time I've had a blog. When it gets to the point of actually annoying, then I'll use it.

 
At 9/08/2005 1:06 AM, Blogger -xtessa- wrote:

ow, ow, ow... how awful! thank goodness they're all back, safe and sound! so scary...

 
At 9/08/2005 7:52 AM, Blogger Dave wrote:

I just love happy endings!

 
At 9/08/2005 7:33 PM, Anonymous netchick wrote:

I know that panic! It's the worst feeling in the world. Glad it ended on a happy note!

Cheers,
Tanya aka NetChick

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home