Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

A Potential Buyer...hurray?

Wednesday, September 07, 2005


Yesterday morning I was sitting on the couch in my work-a-day clothes, folding laundry when my phone rang. It was a guy, sitting in his car outside my house who saw our "For Sale By Owner" sign and wanted to know more. His thick accent made him extremely difficult to understand. His rude manner made me not care to try to understand him.

I told him the house had 2 bedrooms and our asking price, which is well within the norm of similar houses selling in our area. He was shocked and was not afraid to express his dissatisfaction. Despite the accent, I understood his question clearly. "You want $xxx,xxx for a house with only 2 bedrooms!?"

I calmly answered, "Yes, that is what we are asking."

"Well, will you take any less than that?"

"We will take offers into consideration."

He wanted to come in and see it right away. I explained that we were showing the house by appointment only. Not only was I simply not going to let him in while I was sitting there doing laundry in my sweats, but I will not show the house unless the Geek is there with me.

I asked if any particular evening would work well for him. "You tell me," he replied, which makes him sound very accommodating, but somehow it was spoken in a way that could make a person feel small as a mouse. I quickly decided not to let him make me feel small, or at the very least not to let him know it. We agreed on Wednesday at 7 pm.

As we closed the conversation, he said something in a demanding tone about calling him at 5 pm. I couldn't understand what he said, so I kindly asked him to repeat himself (as I had already done numerous times throughout the conversation). He obliged, but I still could not understand any more than before, so I simply gave an affirmative, confirmed we would see him at 7 pm on Wednesday, and thanked him for calling.

I should have been rejoicing that I had scheduled the first showing of our house. Instead I hung up the phone and slumped into a chair exhausted after a simple 3 minute conversation.

I still don't know why he wants me to call at 5 pm. Perhaps to remind him of the appointment? I don't know. If I do call, I'm sure to sound like a fool since I don't know why I'm calling and I'm not even sure of his name. (He told me, but I could not understand that any more than anything else he said.) The Geek thinks I shouldn't call at all and we should just wait and see if he shows up at 7:00. I have to agree, though only because of my cowardice. Hot Rod Mama doesn't think he'll show at all.

We haven't spoken it aloud, but despite our need to sell the house quickly, I don't think either the Geek or I will be disappointed if he doesn't come tonight.

5 Comments:

At 9/07/2005 10:39 AM, Blogger Kristi wrote:

Huh. That's pretty strange. I'd definitely wait until your husband was there before letting him in. And who know? He might love the house and offer you what you're asking. Good luck!

 
At 9/07/2005 11:49 AM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

I'm with you - no way he's stepping foot in that house without the Geek!

Actually, the asking price for your house may need to be lowered if an agent isn't used; the price is comparable to others in the area when sold with an agent. When sold without one, people expect a lower price since the commission is removed. I can explain more later. Still doesn't excuse his attitude though!

 
At 9/07/2005 3:03 PM, Blogger yellojkt wrote:

I'm not a Realtor®, married to a Realtor® or even very friendly with any Realtor®s, but this is where they earn their commisssion, screening out the losers, lookers, and low-ballers. Plus setting up appointments, filtering and negotiating offers, and setting market value.

Blond Girl is right in that buyers want to save the commission just as much as you do.

Not that Realtor®s are perfect. My neighbor listed his too high for the market, has reduced the price once and the unit is still on the market. He may end up doing worse than if he had underpriced and watched an auction war.

FSBO can be done, but remember, you are doing the work yourself and need to act accordingly.

Just my $0.02. Disregard at will.

 
At 9/07/2005 7:57 PM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

I understand that we do the work. We have no problem with that. I just didn't see any reason for him to be rude. I know people like that exist and I suppose I simply have to accept that fact and learn to deal with them, but it doesn't mean that I have to like it. ;-)

Thanks for the friendly advice, BG and Yellojkt.

 
At 9/07/2005 8:41 PM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

By the way, he never showed up.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home