Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Walmart Supercenter - A Love Story

Friday, September 09, 2005


The first Walmart I ever encountered was quite a few years ago in the small town where my Grandma lived at the time. I don't even remember if I ever went in. I only remember that it was there.

In more recent years, Walmart has quickly populated the metropolis where I live, and you really can't visit a small town without happening upon one. The closest Walmart to my house is a few miles away. It's actually in a pretty decent part of town, but you wouldn't know it by shopping there. The entire store, from the parking lot to the aisles to the floors, is scuzzy. It smells funky. It's looks and feels dirty. The people that hang out in front of the store (and I'm not talking about the elderly greeters inside) look you up and down in a way that makes you want to run home and take a scathing hot shower.

So, I've avoided Walmart like the plague. If I have a choice of Wally World or Target Boutique I'll pick Target any day. For better or for worse, that's about to change.

No, my Walmart doesn't have palm trees. That would be nice though, don't you think?

I'm moving soon (though perhaps not as soon as I'd hoped - more on that another day) to a small rural town where the big excitement of late is the new Walmart Supercenter (or Super Walmart, as my friend Little B calls it) that opened this year. I haven't even moved yet and I've shopped there twice already. Despite my treasured prejudices toward the chain, I have fallen in love....in love I tell you.

They have everything! I mean E V E R Y T H I N G! The grocery section is absolutely worth writing home about! I wouldn't say it rivals my current giant supermarket, but it certainly holds a candle to it. I did a quick check for some of my favorite grocery items and found every one of them in stock.

And they have a craft section! And it's not puny! It's got beading supplies! It's got scrapbooking supplies! It's even got fabric in yardage! I was absolutely floored. It was like true love on the first date.

If they keep it clean and not stinky and wash the floors so that your feet don't stick to them like a movie-theater floor, I will give this store so much business in the coming years that they could stay in business if I was their only customer. Of course, I think they can expect that response from the entire community since it's the only general or decent size grocery store in the area.

Yes, I am a changed woman. I am in love. But I do have my limits. If you ever spot me on the highway with an "I [heart] Walmart" bumper-sticker on my car, please shoot my tires out...please.

14 Comments:

At 9/09/2005 9:12 AM, Blogger warcrygirl wrote:

Ah, I see the Evil Empire has another victim. LOL Michele sent me; have a great weekend!

 
At 9/09/2005 9:35 AM, Blogger Trista wrote:

I moved to NYC a little over 5 years ago. We don't have a Walmart (Supercenter or just plain Walmart) here, and when I lived in a small town back in Oregon we didn't have a Supercenter, so I have yet to be "another victim." I don't think I'm missing out on much. I don't know if I like the idea of buying my produce in a huge department store like that. We do have several Targets, and I LOVE those stores.

 
At 9/09/2005 10:42 AM, Blogger utenzi wrote:

That's what I'm talking about, GeekWif. I love the Wal-mart supercenters. I figure anyone who says they don't is the type that says they don't watch TV. Ha! We all know at least one of those bullshitters!

The grocery store sections are better than most regular grocery stores. And the prices! I can afford to eat. LOL

Michele sent me to spread the joy of Wal-mart.

 
At 9/09/2005 12:08 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

I already understand your joy; remember my post "8 miles to the Walmart"? Well, that's a supercenter and where I am sure to do most of my shopping. The only problem is that I am pretty sure Champs will need to fit me with a global positioning unit to find me once I go in....

 
At 9/09/2005 1:00 PM, Anonymous Leanne wrote:

I loved my Super WalMart... once. A long time ago, before they started making you load your own bags and they move on to the next customer before you've even made sure you have all of your stuff. Before they decided to add things to the store and narrow down those aisles so two carts going in opposited directions don't fit. Before we became broke because they have so much stuff you can't just run down there for just one thing. Oh it's great at first. It sure is! Enjoy it! ;)

 
At 9/09/2005 10:01 PM, Blogger Michelle wrote:

I love them too! The nearest one to me is 35 minutes away. The best one is 1 1/2 hours away! Here via Michele! Have a great weekend!

 
At 9/10/2005 9:37 AM, Anonymous Nancy wrote:

The wal marts in my area are all stinky, so I go to target. Glad you found a place you like.

 
At 9/10/2005 10:48 PM, Blogger Holly wrote:

guess where i just got back from? superwalmart!

i got quilting supplies, bird food, a novel, and some deli cheese for me.

damn, i love me some wal mart. and they love me too. because i spend much money there. on what seems like a daily basis.

 
At 9/11/2005 9:04 PM, Blogger The Mistress of the Dark wrote:

I feel you pain. I have a kinda love hate relationship with Wally World myself. I prefer Target too.

But it is a necessary evil and there's some great stuff there.

Here via Michele

 
At 9/11/2005 9:06 PM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Wow, it seems I've touched a nerve here. Thanks for all your comments everyone! It seems we all have very strong opinions of Walmart, whether for or against! I hope, now that I have found one that I like, that they stay clean and friendly so I can continue on the "for" side.

 
At 9/12/2005 2:26 AM, Blogger Emmanuel wrote:

Thanks for visiting my blog last week. For a Walmart critique, read Naomi Klein's "No Logo"

 
At 9/12/2005 8:10 AM, Blogger dena wrote:

I hate Wal-Mart. Just driving into the parking lot sends me into a panic. The entire place makes me crazy. The lighting, the layout, the fact that groceries mingle in your cart with underwear. It's a freak show.

 
At 9/12/2005 12:13 PM, Anonymous leanne wrote:

Dena - LOL! They're not DIRTY underwear or anything! (are they?!?!)

::giggles::

(I got into a wreck in the WM parking lot. I can relate to the panic!)

 
At 12/25/2005 8:38 AM, Anonymous Felton Warnick wrote:

Hello. I just wanted to give a quick greeting and tell you I enjoyed reading your material.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home