Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

The Wednesday Weblink

Wednesday, September 21, 2005


Today marks the inauguration of the Wednesday Weblink, here at my blog home. Each Wednesday I will be sharing one of my favorite links with you. Today, I thought it would be appropriate to start with my Mozilla homepage - the webpage that comes up every morning when I log in to my computer.

gmail by google logo Gmail is webmail on steroids. It's a Google test project, which the Geek introduced me to. I've quit using my old ISP email and gone completely with Gmail now. I love it. It stays open on my desktop all day so I know whenever I get email or when someone comments to my blog.

I can check my mail from anywhere at any time.
I can sort my mail by labels and star important ones.
The search capabilities are amazing.
I can filter mail to a particular label or to the trash, and I rarely ever get spam. In fact I've never had spam in the inbox because the filter has sent the few things that made it through to the spam bin.
I get 2.5 gigs of space so I never have to delete anything if I don't want to.
It's free and there are no pop-up ads. (There are google ads along the right sidebar, but I don't even notice them.)
It arranges conversations in such a way as to keep all related emails together, but I can close any I don't choose to see at the moment.

Now in case you think I'm being paid by Google, please know that I will never promote any product on this blog for money. I don't want this to be "that" kind of blog, and I certainly don't want anyone to be afraid they're going to get suckered into something when they come here. That's not what I'm about. I just happen to love my Gmail.

That said, there is one thing that they do not offer yet that I find is sorely missing, and that is email groups. There is no capability yet to create groups to send a mass email to your friends or family. I suspect this is to prevent spammers from using their product, but it would be a nice feature to have when inviting friends to a party or updating family on your life.

I suppose nothing can be 100% perfect in our imperfect little world, but in my humble opinion, Gmail comes pretty darn close.

6 Comments:

At 9/21/2005 9:54 AM, Blogger Oreo wrote:

Is it open? Do you know I've commented? HEHEHE J/K. Thank you for coming to my blog, I didn't realize you had linked to me. Thank you! I'll repay!

 
At 9/21/2005 10:10 AM, Blogger yellojkt wrote:

is GMail still invitation only or can anyone sign up? Like I need another e-mail account to check.

 
At 9/21/2005 10:19 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Oreo - It's open and I know! :) Thanks for the return link.

yellowjkt - It's still invitation only. If you are in the US (not sure of your location) and have a mobile phone, you can get an invitation at https://www.google.com/accounts/SmsMailSignup1

Otherwise, I could email you an invitation which is good no matter where you live.

 
At 9/21/2005 11:49 AM, Blogger Kristi wrote:

ohhh... I like the Wednesday weblink idea. I love visiting new sites. And yes, I agree with you. Gmail rocks.

 
At 9/22/2005 8:56 PM, Anonymous E wrote:

I, too, am a gmail fanatic. I try to convince everyone I know to switch over! I'll never go back to any of my old emails if I can avoid them! I've been a long time Blond Girl reader and I've been meaning to come over here to visit...just hadn't made it yet! Glad you were behind me in Michele's game so it gave me a kick in the rear end to come say hello!

 
At 9/23/2005 7:06 AM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

You could send me an invite... who knows? You might convert an old Yahoo devotee...

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home