Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

All About Me Monday - Part 3 (a little late)

Tuesday, October 04, 2005


Mondays are "All About Me" here at Chez Geekwif. That means I pull an item from my "100 Things" and post about it. Today, we talk about #3 on my list.

3. We were very young.

When I was a teenager, I thought I would never get married. I never had a boyfriend or even a date for that matter, on which subject I will elaborate next week. I thought that if I wasn't married by the time I was 20, I would be ancient. My mother was married when she was 23 and I simply couldn't imagine waiting that long.

I was 21 and the Geek was just three weeks from his 24th birthday on our wedding day. I didn't exactly think I was old at the time, but I was certainly glad I didn't have to wait any longer. I was very surprised to realize that I was the first of all my friends to get married.

When I was in my late twenties, I attended the wedding of a friend who had been my personal attendant several years before. She was 23 on her own wedding day. I couldn't believe how young she was. I hoped she knew what she was doing and that she was truly mature enough to be married. Then I remembered how I felt on my wedding day, and realized that I was not much more than a child myself on that day.

Though we didn't think so at the time, we were both very young. Now we look back with no regrets and are incredibly thankful we found each other early in life. It's been an amazing (almost) 13 years and we're looking forward to many many more ahead.

1 Comments:

At 10/05/2005 7:58 AM, Blogger yellojkt wrote:

I got married at 22 and I was SO young. But now I am glad to have all that behind me.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home