Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Refreshment

Sunday, October 02, 2005


It's been a lovely, relaxing weekend, starting with a Friday night date. Date night here in the Geek household is sacred. Nothing trumps date night - well almost nothing. It's been a standing tradition since very early in our marriage and it's lasted for almost 13 years.

This Friday, as I mentioned in an earlier post, we saw the movie, Serenity. It was great. There was more action than in the TV show, and a the movie is a bit more graphic in it's violence, but even I didn't have trouble with it beyond gripping my seat a few times and I'm a total wimp when it comes to movie violence.

For those who have seen the short-lived Joss Whedon (creator of Buffy and Angel) series, Firefly, if you loved the TV show and haven't seen the movie yet, I can tell you this. You will almost certainly love the movie. If you've never seen the series, you don't know what you are missing. It's out on DVD and it's a great show. Perhaps I'll write a bit about it one of these days, but that's not the point of this post, so I shall move on.

Saturday was a girls' day out shopping with Blond Girl and Curly Girl! How much fun did we have?! We were out all day starting at a bead store where I got some beautiful blue leaf shaped beads among others. Blond Girl bought the most beautiful beads to make a birthday gift for me. (My birthday was quite a while ago. I just haven't been able to decide what I wanted until yesterday.) The beads are leaf shaped in pink and green that look just like a sugar maple in autumn. Gorgeous.

After lunch we did some consignment shopping. Blond Girl needed clothes desperately after having lost well over 100 pounds recently. She found a couple pairs of pants, the cutest jacket you've ever seen, and a few great shirts and sweaters. I found a blue and white striped Banana Republic oxford shirt like new for $10 and a comfy cozy pink oversize sweater for winter for $20. I love consignment shopping!

Today the Geek and I skipped church and slept in. We went to Panera for a yummy breakfast (Chai Latte and a Cherry Cheese Danish for me - yummy!), and then headed out to our favorite place - the lot where we will build our home next year.
The leaves are beginning to change colors. By next weekend they will be absolutely stunning, not that they weren't today. Perfect timing since we are going camping in the same area with some friends next weekend. These pictures are of the trees bordering our lot. This will be the view we see from our living room windows in our new house.

This is how we spent our day. If you read a my post a couple weeks ago, you'll know we bought a screen tent to spend the day in, sitting there enjoying the fresh country air. We brought along a simple lunch , some camping chairs, a card table and some books. It's heavenly I tell you...simply heavenly.

This time, as we were setting things up, our neighbor stopped by to introduce herself and her 2 year old son. We talked for a bit, while her little guy went to work picking up the biggest rocks his little arms could carry, and transferring them to other locations, the logic behind which was only known to his busy little brain. Yup, we're going to have some great neighbors, and if the woman we met last time who is considering buying the lot north of ours does so, we'll have another great neighbor.All in all, the weekend was just what we needed - a break from the everyday hustle and bustle of life in the city, a breath of fresh air, and a bit of exposure to the wondrous handiwork of God.

9 Comments:

At 10/03/2005 7:18 AM, Blogger Oreo wrote:

Hey! That looks just like around my house!! Hope you have better luck with grass than we have! Trust me, start picking up rocks now!!!

 
At 10/03/2005 7:24 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Thanks for the advice Oreo! We're less than a mile from a river valley so our soil is quite rocky and sandy. We do have a lot of rocks to pick up! Of course, the good part of that is that we can use them for landscaping later!

 
At 10/03/2005 7:32 AM, Anonymous Mar wrote:

such pretty colors! I live in a place with pine trees.. green pine trees are green all.year.around. I just love the changing colors! Michele sent me!

 
At 10/03/2005 7:33 AM, Blogger kenju wrote:

What beautiful scenery you will have. Will all those trees be left there, or are they on building lots too?

Michele sent me.

 
At 10/03/2005 7:54 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Nope, I'm pretty sure the trees are there to stay. I would be horribly disappointed if anyone ever took them down.

 
At 10/03/2005 11:28 AM, Anonymous Purple Elephant wrote:

What a great weekend you had. I must try and see if I can scrounge a date night ou of my husband. That is a really nice idea!
Michele sent me by the way!

 
At 10/03/2005 2:00 PM, Blogger Kristi wrote:

Lovely colors, and it sounds like such a relaxing day. I bet you can't wait to start your house. Then you'll get to wake up there every day.

 
At 10/04/2005 8:00 AM, Blogger Oreo wrote:

Yeah, lanscaping! We use ours to fill in the big hole in the driveway!! Did you see the pics of when we cut down the tree? Well, after we did that, we tilled down about a foot & I kid you not, spent 2 days, 2 DAYS picking up rocks!!

 
At 10/05/2005 11:56 AM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

We so need to hook up Curly Girl's monitor! I looked at this at home and didn't even realize Geek was in the picture....

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home