Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

27937 And Counting!

Thursday, November 17, 2005


I'm moving forward with my word count. I'm technically about 400 words behind schedule at this point, but that can easily be caught up this weekend. You'd be surprised how many words you can toss onto a page in a very short amount of time. Actually, you might not be surprised since most of the people reading this are bloggers.

So the novel is progressing, but not nearly as quickly as I had planned. At 27,937 words, my main character, who is a fictional version of my grandmother, is only 7 years old. It will be interesting to see how old she is at the end of 50,000 words. I can already tell some things I would do differently if I could start again, and there will be extensive editing done at the end of this month, but that's not what NaNo is about. It's about spitting those 50,000 words onto the page without thinking too hard about them or making them particularly pretty or grammatically perfect. (That's the hardest part for me. I always check my grammar after writing anything. I just know I'm going to go back later and be appalled at all the grammatical changes I have to make.)

So, anyway, I have blog post ideas backing up like traffic on Hwy 169 in rush hour. (I guess that makes NaNoWriMo the little old man in the Buick driving 35 mph on the freeway holding up the traffic for miles behind him.) Don't expect to see any of those ideas here until after November 30th. After that, watch out, because baby I've got memes and post ideas comin' out the ying yang. It's gonna be fun...at least for me...and I hope for you too.

Until then, many thanks once again to those who have been cheering me on! Cheers to the cheerers!

P.S. I'll try to get another exerpt up soon. It's hard coming up with one without going into premature editing mode, but I'll try.

3 Comments:

At 11/18/2005 2:29 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

woo hoo! You're on your way!

Now, when you get those great ideas, I hope you are making a post title and saving it as a draft. Otherwise those post ideas will be like the water the spagetting was cooked in: Gone.

 
At 11/20/2005 6:39 PM, Blogger Kristi wrote:

Congrats on progressing so far on your novel. Such a huge accomplishment. I hope you're really proud of yourself. And I know what you mean about going back and editing your work as a reflex. I'm exactly the same way. Then again, I write for a living so it's hard to "shut off the editing mode" in my personal writing. Can't wait to read another excerpt.

 
At 11/21/2005 9:47 PM, Blogger Indigo wrote:

I love your analogy about the little old man driving 35 in a Buick. LOL!

You are doing awesome! We are on the home stretch now!!! WOOHOO!!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home