Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Why I Can Finally Classify Myself As Certifiably Insane

Tuesday, November 01, 2005


I did it. I signed up for NaNoWriMo yesterday. For anyone not familiar with that term, it's short for National Novel Writing Month. To describe it in a very few words, it's an international event (thanks to the mighty internet) where thousands of people dedicate themselves to writing a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. And it starts today!

I've been contemplating this act of madness in my very private little head for over a month now, but I finally signed up yesterday. I've been simultaneously working on my novel idea and working up the courage to break the news to the Geek (since he will bear the brunt of my neglect for the next 30 days) for the past month. I made my final decision for my novel subject 2 days ago, signed up at NaNoWriMo's website yesterday, and told the Geek this morning.

My fear was that he would remind me of all the reasons I already know why I shouldn't do this. (The main reason being that I'm just too busy.) Instead (and I should have known this) his reaction was beyond supportive and encouraging. In fact, he is going to join me in the endeavour! He is behind me reading the companion book, No Plot? No Problem! at this very moment.

So why, you may ask, does this all add up to Certifiable Insanity? Because a) I have never written prose in my life. Lyrics, yes. Poetry, a little. No prose. and b) writing 50,000 words in 30 days is quite time consuming. However, insanity aside, I expect this to be an incredible experience, if sometimes frustrating, whether I am successful or not.

I could blog on about this - there is much more to be said - but I must begin writing my novel! I'm already 20 hours behind schedule! Only 700 more hours to go! AAAHHHH!!!

If you would like more info about NaNoWriMo, you can visit their website at
http://www.nanowrimo.org/.

7 Comments:

At 11/02/2005 5:00 AM, Blogger Sharon wrote:

Yayyyy, good for you! I will cheer from afar.

 
At 11/02/2005 10:54 AM, Blogger Kristi wrote:

How exciting! This is great. I wish you nothing but luck and success, and absolutely no writer's block. I can't wait to hear about how this goes for you, since writing a novel has been an ambition of mine since I was a little girl.

 
At 11/02/2005 4:19 PM, Blogger yellojkt wrote:

With all the people writing novels this month, who is going to be left to blog?

Good luck with it.

 
At 11/02/2005 9:04 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

Good luck. I know you. You've committed, so you'll probably succeed, though you'll agonize throughout the process. And we'll all love you all the more for it!

Oh, and don't hate me. I created a meme tonight and I tagged YOU to help me spread it. Aren't I nice?

 
At 11/02/2005 10:03 PM, Blogger princssis wrote:

Oh, good luck to you! That sounds like quite an adventure! AND, your Geek is there supporting you all the way - wonderful!

 
At 11/03/2005 12:54 PM, Blogger Me wrote:

You can do it!!! Best of luck! Yippee for you!

:)

 
At 11/03/2005 10:02 PM, Blogger Sandy wrote:

Good for you! Good luck. It's an awesome undertaking and I admire all those that do it. I've not the patience nor the determination (or confidence!) to tackle it. I shall live vicariously though all the bloggers that bravely take on the mantel. :)

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home