Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Writing Away In NaNoWriMoVille

Friday, November 04, 2005


I thought I should post a quick update here on my NaNo progress. I do not intend to post chapters as I go, but if you are interested in following my progress, you can view my profile at the NaNoWriMo website. My current word count is there, which I update every night before going to bed. There is also a short exerpt from my novel posted there, which I may change now and then as I make progress. There will be no full manuscript posted, but rather just enough words to intrigue...hopefully.

As I mentioned before, the Geek is participating as well. He is ahead of me by a couple hundred words, but I comfort myself with the fact that he has done this before. He jokingly likes to call it CraNoWriMo, for Crap Novel Writing Month, since the idea is not to write a brilliant novel, but rather to just get 50,000 words on the page no matter how good or bad they might be. The founder suggests that writers aim for a novel that doesn't make people want to throw up, so we joke about our crap novels, reminding each other in moments of self-critiquing weakness, that we aren't aiming for perfection - just volume.

I must gather my things and leave for work now, but I want to thank all of you who encouraged me in my endeavor with your comments to my previous post. You are all too kind. I hope that maybe I will inspire some of you to join the insanity fun next year! It's quite the trip.

5104 words and counting!

5 Comments:

At 11/04/2005 9:11 AM, Anonymous MissMeliss wrote:

My husband is very good about leaving me alone to write during November, (less good about leaving me alone to write, the rest of the year, which is frustrating), and mocks the efforts - with affection - but sometimes he helps me plot, as well.

Good Luck.

 
At 11/04/2005 8:15 PM, Blogger Kristi wrote:

Wow. I'm really, really impressed that you're doing this. And yes, I already said this once, but it merits saying again. And I read your short exerpt as well. I'm impressed. The plot sounds really interesting, and I hope you post something new soon. Continued good luck!

 
At 11/05/2005 7:47 PM, Blogger yellojkt wrote:

Not a bad pace. You'll make if you can keep up.

 
At 11/05/2005 10:55 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

According to my calculations, you need only write 1,666 words per day to meet your goal. Piece of cake! See how much faith I have in you?

Oh, someone at http://rashbre2.blogspot.com/ was talking about nanowrimo today. He/she (not sure - couldn't find a defining sentence)has the coolest progress meter on their sidebar. Go check it out and consider adding it to yours.

Your comment on Champs today made me laugh out loud.. I commented to your comment.

I miss you! How long has it been since I've seen your face, anyway?

 
At 11/06/2005 11:38 AM, Blogger rashbre wrote:

Consider this a moral support posting. I'm also having a bash at the Nononomore thing and I think you dropped by earlier today to find the little dial which shows progress. I shall check out your profile and try to find the time to update mine also in a meaningful way.

Best fortune with the novel!

rashbre

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home