Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Confessions of a Homebody

Saturday, December 31, 2005



It's New Year's Eve and I want to stay home.

My very sweet Geek wants to go out.

It's after noon on New Year's Eve and we still haven't settled on what we're going to do.

Here's how I feel. I spent my teenage years babysitting other people's kids on New Year's Eve. It was an easy job. The kids always insisted they were going to stay awake until midnight, but they always dropped off about nine or ten o'clock. I got them in bed and spent the rest of the evening watching Dick Clark or some cheesy movie on TV. The parents would get home about one or two o'clock and I got paid lots of money. It was a great gig for a reasonably responsible teen who needed money.

Shortly after my teen years were over, I got married. For about five years or so, we would get invited to friend's parties each year. Sometimes they were fancy dress-up parties, sometimes they were theme parties (we hosted an 80's party ourselves one year), and sometimes they were pajama parties. Whatever the case, we had a lot of fun and it didn't cost much.

Now my twenties are over and I am well into my thirties. I have always been a bit of a homebody, but I am becoming more and more so each day. I spend eight to ten hours of every day of the week away from home. Tonight, I just want to stay home out of the cold snowy outdoors, curl up on the couch next to my favorite Geek, and watch a movie...or two...or three. The Geek would normally agree with me, but for some reason he wants to go out this year. I'm still trying to figure this out.

So I still don't know what we're going to do. I suspect neither of us will really know until about seven or eight tonight when we suddenly realize we are either out or we're not. I don't want my Geek to be disappointed, but I kind of hope we're not.

What do you think? Would you rather go out or stay in, and what are your plans for tonight?

4 Comments:

At 12/31/2005 3:29 PM, Blogger Kristi wrote:

I'm with you. I spent most of my 20s hosting parties or going to other people's parties. For the last few years, I've wanted to do exactly what you're doing-stay in! So that's what we're doing tonight. Staying home. Watching a movie. And pigging out.

 
At 1/01/2006 4:45 PM, Anonymous hotrodmama wrote:

It depends on the year. This year Daddy Warbucks had to work at the hospital so we stayed home. Other years, we go to R&S's. Because he works every other weekend, he had Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off this year. Much better because we get to spend it with you :~)
Yup, Kristi, watching a movie and pigging out work for us too.

 
At 1/02/2006 11:46 AM, Blogger yellojkt wrote:

Never been to a New Years Eve Party. The closest was a Cindi Laupner concert in 1985. Since then its just been us at home. Before the kid, NYE was a sexy, romantic night with spumanti (champagne is too dry). Since the kid, we still have spumanti at least.

Maybe when he goes to college we will do one of those hotel parties that include a room so we don't have to worry about driving.

 
At 1/02/2006 12:38 PM, Blogger Debra wrote:

Oh this one is easy...Both Tom and I turn more and more into homebodies the older we become. We are very happy to celebrate together in our home any holiday which comes along! (So guess where we were on New Year's Eve?) :) God bless you in 2006! ... Debra

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home