Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Bad Hair Day

Wednesday, January 18, 2006


Why is it that bad hair days ruin your entire day?

On January 2nd I had my hair cut from shoulder length to quite short on an impulse. For me, "on an impulse" means that I had been thinking about it for about a month and finally decided to do it without telling anyone except my Geek.

It was really cute – everyone thought so – well they said so, anyway. I loved it. It was short and cute and flippy and fun and it felt so lightweight. It didn't even take much work. I would just blow dry it, which doesn't take too long when it's this short; curl it a little at the ends to make them flip; spray a little hair spray and it was done. Honestly, it only took about 10 minutes to do.

I've been thoroughly enjoying my new, cute, possibly even fashionable (gasp!!!) haircut...until today. It took two weeks, but it has all fallen apart. It's as if last night in my sleep it suddenly hit that magic length where it refuses to flip.

Now it just feathers. How horrifying is that? How does a person go from flip to feather in one night? Do people with short hair get it cut every two weeks to keep it from doing this?

So my entire day was tainted by this horror on my head. It's like I could feel it feathering against my will and I wanted nothing more than to pull it back in a pony tail like I used to do on bad hair days – but there's no hair to pull back anymore.

All I can say is it had better behave tomorrow because if it doesn't...well...it just better....

I really hate bad hair days.

6 Comments:

At 1/19/2006 1:06 PM, Blogger Kristi wrote:

I hate them too. The thing with short haircuts is that they need to be "kept up" a lot more than longer haircuts do. I have to have my short hair cut about every six weeks because, as you now know, they go from looking cute and flippy to drab and flat in a few weeks. I bet it still looks great, though!

 
At 1/19/2006 2:49 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

It is TOO SOON to panic. This is so far only a one time occurrence. Remain calm, and expect the best tomorrow. Do NOT take your angst out on your hair for just one transgression or it will surely wake up and take its revenge on you tomorrow as well. Forgive the Hair. Take a deep breath and then Forgiiiive the Hair. Talk sweet to it anyway and extend grace even though it does not deserve it. Hair grace, that's all that is required at this point.
PS After 3 days, if behavior has not modified, proceed with Internet Wide Tongue Lashing, and scissor slashing, if need be.

 
At 1/19/2006 9:06 PM, Anonymous Chele In {dot} LA wrote:

with what I do i guess it does not really matter..
Cause sooner or later the hair just goes up in a pony..
over from the other michele's..
m

 
At 1/19/2006 9:08 PM, Blogger d.challener roe wrote:

I wish I had your problem. My hair is slowly leaving me.

Michele sent me.

 
At 1/19/2006 9:26 PM, Blogger Joe wrote:

That is why I wear my trusty baseball cap!

 
At 1/19/2006 10:02 PM, Blogger Sandy wrote:

Here's to a better hair day tomorrow!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home