Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

My Window Friends Are Back

Wednesday, January 11, 2006


Back in September I posted about my window friends, nature paintings in the hallway of the office where I was working a temp job. They were the one spark of light I found in an otherwise dreary week of office work.

Just a few weeks later I started another temp assignment at the same company where I am still working. Unfortunately, this time my window friends alluded me. They still hung dutifully on the walls, cheering other passers-by who might happen to turn their eyes and notice their beauty; but the location I was working in and the job I was doing did not allow me to pass by those paintings on a daily basis like before.

I've been there for three months now. Over the past couple weeks, I was feeling a little melancholy about the job, the gray walls, the harsh flourescent lighting, the complete lack of sunlight on a daily basis. If you read the linked post, you'll see that these are all things that I understand everyone deals with and that I am not feeling sorry for myself or asking you to do so.

On Friday, I got just the pick-me-up I needed. The manager needed to move us (myself and the other temp working with me) out of the cubicals we have been working in so that he could make room for some new permanent hires. We ended up at desks in what was once a small conference room. For just the two of us, it's quite roomy – you could easily fit another desk in there – and while it echoes a bit, it's the closest I have ever had to an office of my own, shared or otherwise. That's not even the best part.

There is a tall narrow window in the office next to the door. It looks out onto a large open space in the hallway – kind of like a clearing in a forest. There is a small seating area there that is rarely ever used by anyone. In the center of the space is a large tree. It's an actual, real live tree, and I can see it clearly anytime of day by simply turning my head a few degrees to the left. Above the tree there is a deep skylight that allows a little bit of real sunlight to shine down into the space. I can see that from my desk too.

As I exit through our office door, I am greeted by a neighbor lady working in her garden. Yes, you read correctly. There is a large mural painted on the wall and she has become my constant gardening friend no matter the season, but even that is not yet the best part.

I got my window friends back. Those lovely glimpses into nature that my eyes ache to see every day instead of the cold hard plastic of a computer screen are mine to cherish again. In the morning when I walk to my office, in the evening when I leave, whenever I go to get a soda or to lunch or to the ladies' room; they are always there waiting patiently for me to gaze upon their refreshing mountains and lakes and cool blue skies.

I am only assigned to be there for another couple of weeks, but this change has made those two weeks much more bearable. Even if it extended into another month I think I could be content with my window friends to encourage and refresh me every day as I walk by.

3 Comments:

At 1/11/2006 10:26 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

I've been in that building when Champs worked there - and I think I know what tree you're talking about! Weird!

 
At 1/12/2006 7:01 AM, Blogger Oreo wrote:

YAY! I'm glad you have something to cheer you up.

 
At 1/14/2006 7:52 AM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard wrote:

It gives the idea there is life out there.

Michele sent me this way

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home