Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Whose Birthday Is It?

Sunday, January 15, 2006


Yesterday was my Geek's birthday. (37th – just 3 years away from the big 4-0!)

Hot Rod Mama has always maintained that the birthday person gets to do whatever they want, eat whatever they want and has the innate right to refuse any and all unpleasant or unwanted chores that day. It's a long-standing tradition in my family, and to a certain extent, I have carried it on.

Yesterday, the Geek was in charge. He got to choose what he wanted to do all day, where we would eat dinner, and I did not ask him to do any chores, which I would usually do on a Saturday. By his choice, we had a lovely breakfast of muffins over a game of Settlers of Catan (which he won – twice). Then he played Dragon Quest on our PS2 for a good part of the day while I worked on his parents' website.

In the evening we went to Erte, a favorite local restaurant, for dinner. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but we have been there about three or four times now and have never been in the least bit disappointed. The Geek prides himself on his good taste in steaks, and he says that their's is the best he's ever tasted. I had a glass of a merlot from Chile that blew away my old favorite merlot. All in all, dinner was amazing.

The atmosphere in this place is kind of funky, yet elegant; moody, yet fun. We didn't have a reservation, so we sat right next to the band, which was not a problem. They were a fun kind of jazzy group that covered songs we all know, but made them sound fresh and entertaining. Even though we were only about six feet away from them, they were not at all overwhelming.

The crown of the dinner though, was the incredible creme brulee. Have I talked about this on this blog before? I may have, but it's worth mentioning again. They make the most amazing creme brulee you have ever tasted – seriously. Words simply can't describe it...but I'll try anyway. The caramelized sugar glaze is perfectly crunchy and toasty; the creme is subtle, not too sweet; and the perfectly proportioned dollop of whipped cream on top is freshly whipped and, like the band, not overwhelming.

If you are ever in the Minneapolis area, you simply must try Erte. I guarantee, you will not be disappointed. (No, I am not being paid for this blog post.)

I felt a bit like it was my birthday yesterday, I enjoyed the day so much. It's always nice to get to spend the day with my favorite Geek. Today, we go to my parents' place to celebrate with them and his sister. More Catan is in order tonight, and in fact, he is waiting for me in the kitchen right now to play a game, so I'd better go. Wish me luck!

3 Comments:

At 1/15/2006 8:59 PM, Blogger yellojkt wrote:

Three games of Settlers of Cataan in one day. That's some man! What a birthday for him. That is a euphemism right? No. You're really just talking about the game. My bad.

 
At 1/16/2006 5:14 PM, Blogger Kristi wrote:

What a nice birthday! And I love creme brulee, but I've found restaurants can easily ruin it. Glad you found a good place to have it.

 
At 1/18/2006 9:16 AM, Blogger Indigo wrote:

Happy Birthday to your Geek! I love creme brulee! Haven't been to that restaurant, but I'll ask Hubby about it since he lived in Minneapolis for about 8 years prior to meeting me.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home