Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Keys To A Successful Marriage

Thursday, February 23, 2006



Jeana started a new meme for Valentine's Day, and while I am a bit late (what's new?), I do like a good meme, so here goes. If you like it, consider yourself tagged. Just let me know please, so I can come read yours.

The Rules
What's one thing you have learned to do differently to make your marriage better? or one thing you think is important to a good marriage?
If you're not married, look at your parents or a couple you know that has a good marriage and tell something you admire about their relationship. And no pressure to tell the most important thing; in fact try to write something different than what's already been written, if you get tagged after several other people have already done it. If you get tagged, link back to whoever tagged you, so we can follow the trail and see what others have said.

From the very beginning of our marriage, which has lasted over 13 years now, the Geek and I have always had a date night. Friday nights are sacred and all of our friends and family know it. It takes a seriously major event to make us reschedule our weekly date. See that? Reschedule. Not cancel. If we can't have our date on Friday, then we will make it Saturday, but like I said, it must be extremely important to make us change it.

It was actually kind of funny to watch our friends try to convince us occasionally to cancel or postpone our date for the week. Notice I say "was". They don't bother trying anymore.

Date night doesn't have to be anything fancy or expensive. For a short time we even just cooked dinner together and spent the night at home. Most often we go out for dinner. We have some favorite places that don't cost too much like the little mom-n-pop Greek cafe down the road. Perkins has always served us well too. After dinner, we may go to a bookstore and browse for a while or we may go home and watch a movie together.

Whatever we may do, the point is to be together. I believe that, as simple as this sounds, it is one of the key factors to the success of our marriage. The reason for this is that it is one way we show each other how important the other is. If I were to continuously cancel date night with my husband to go on a girl's night out or even to some church event, it would show that my friends and my church are more important to me than my husband.

We do not break date night because there is simply no one in the world more important to us than each other. After 13 years, it's still true, and I fully expect to still be having Friday night dates when we are very old and gray.

5 Comments:

At 2/23/2006 9:15 AM, Blogger Kristi wrote:

Awww... that's really sweet. My husband and I have an informal "date night" on Friday and Saturday nights, that essentially consist of the same things yours do: dinner out and then home to watch a movie or whatever. Great meme. I'll consider myself tagged, and I'll do it this weekend.

 
At 2/23/2006 9:37 AM, Blogger Jeana wrote:

I really like that. Thanks for playing!

 
At 2/23/2006 12:57 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

I'll be tagged, but it will take a day or two.

As one who has tried (notice I say "has" - I don't bother anymore), I admire your tenacity. Wish Champs and I were that consistant. We're trying the every other week version now; but with Grandma moved out, it isn't as easy as it was! Reading this inspired me to talk to him about trying again...

 
At 2/23/2006 2:38 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

I love it! This just might end up in my husband's inbox...

 
At 2/23/2006 5:09 PM, Blogger yellojkt wrote:

That's very sweet. We have a lot of date nights. Especially now that our kid wants nothing to do with us.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home