Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Sleeping Beauty? More Like The Sleeping Beast

Sunday, February 19, 2006


I'm a little scared this morning. Yup. I'm a bit freaked out. Before I tell you why, there's something you need to know about me: I am a heavy sleeper. It's a bit embarassing since most women I know are light sleepers and most men I know are heavy sleepers. Makes a girl feel a bit unfeminine. Nonetheless, it's what I am.

On weekday mornings, my Geek gets up at about 6:15 am. He takes a shower and then calls up the stairs to wake me at about 6:30. I usually don't hear him get up unless he shakes me to tell me so. When he calls, he sometimes has to call twice before I hear him.


This morning was even worse. I woke up at 6:15, my bladder complaining that it was time to get up. I took care of that problem and went straight back to bed. It's Sunday and church doesn't start until 10 am. There's no good reason for me to be up at 6:15.

A while later I woke up again. The Geek was gone and I could hear his video game playing downstairs. I put on my glasses and looked at the clock. It was 9:58!!! Holy cow!!


I made my way down the stairs and immediately complained to the Geek that he had not called to wake me up.

"I did," he replied, "but you didn't wake up."


"Well then, you should have come up to wake me!" I figured he had just called up the stairs as usual.


"I did."

"You did?"


"Mm hmm. I called up several times at about 8:00 and you didn't wake up, so I came upstairs at about 9:00 to wake you and you still didn't wake up."


"Well, did you touch me or just call me?"


"I touched you and called your name and the cats were walking all over you, but you didn't wake up. I figured if you were that tired you must need the sleep, so I just let you sleep."


I'm so embarassed. How does a person sleep through all that?
Needless to say, we didn't go to church today. Oh well. It's really cold out there anyway.

P.S. Don't forget! The Share the Love Blog Awards polls close tomorrow! Go vote, people!

3 Comments:

At 2/19/2006 3:56 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

I think you should consider this a rare and precious talent.

 
At 2/20/2006 9:07 AM, Blogger Kristi wrote:

I wish I was a heavy sleeper. Every little noise, no matter how small, wakes me up. On average, I'm up at least 2-3 times a night!

 
At 2/27/2006 2:55 PM, Blogger farmgirl wrote:

As someone who wakes up a gazillion times a night, I say consider yourself lucky! Thanks for the smile. Loved the part about the cats walking all over you. : )

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home