Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

An Update, An Explanation, And The 1st Installment Of A Prize

Sunday, February 12, 2006


The Update

I have finally crawled out of my blanket covered shelter where I've been hiding for the past several days. I ended up coming home from work early on Wednesday (as indicated in part 3 of the crazy Nyquil-induced poem), and calling in sick on Thursday and Friday. Tomorrow promises to be a day of many phone calls, apologies for the dozen or so appointments I missed, and much catching up on paperwork. Hopefully I'll be able to do all this without launching myself into a fit of coughing, which tends to happen when I attempt to talk. Lying down does the same, which has made sleeping a challenge the last few nights.

The happy part is, though, that I am still alive and breathing better and I begin to see the light at the end of this tunnel.


The Explanation

For anyone who may not have been reading my blog back in November, and as a refresher to those who have, I submit the following explanation which must preceed the last portion of this post.

Back in November, I participated in my first NaNoWriMo. Rather than spend a lot of time explaining what this is, and how I decided to get involved, I will refer you to the following links.

The post where I announce my participation and briefly describe the event


My November posts, which are mostly about NaNoWriMo

The official NaNoWriMo website

As far as I can tell, I have never really explained on my blog what my novel was about. It may be in a comment somewhere, but since it's not in any post I can find, I will explain here.

In 1983, about 20 years before she passed away, my grandma wrote her autobiography. I was short (approximately 70 pages), and I assume she meant it for the family, not for publishing. The autobiography is made up of many small stories, mostly one or two paragraphs each, and I thought I would take some of her stories, expand upon them using my own imagination, and make a novel out of it.

In the midst of writing I told a few (very few) people that I may share the novel with them once it was done and I had a chance to edit it, but I would not make any absolute promises. I have not yet had that chance. I have not even read it since I completed it, but I know that it needs a lot of work.

After expanding on the stories, I only managed to get through her childhood in the 50,000 words required by NaNoWriMo. What I would like to do is write a novel based on a later part of her life, inserting some select exerpts from the NaNoWriMo novel as flashbacks in appropriate places. (I know, using flashbacks is risky business and I may fail miserably, but it is my tentative plan at the moment.) This probably won't happen for a while since we are beginning the process of building our home which will take up most of this year.

In the meantime, Hot Rod Mama (my mom, for those who don't know her by "name") won the "Guess My Bowling Score" contest and asked that I post the novel in its entirety as her prize. I refused to post the whole thing (for your own safety and comfort, trust me), but agreed to post a few exerpts. Now I am here to begin to make good on that promise.

The first exerpt has been posted. (Follow the link below.) This was the opening of the novel. I don't know if it will be used in the future or not, but I thought it was worthy of posting here. Those of you who call yourself writers or who write professionally, please have mercy on me. This is my very first attempt at writing fiction.

To Hot Rod Mama, congratulations, here is the first installment of your prize!

2 Comments:

At 2/13/2006 11:44 AM, Blogger Indigo wrote:

How cool of an idea! I love how everyone got their ideas for their novels from so many different places. I'm at work and don't have time to read it right now, but I'm bookmarking on bloglines and will be back!

Oh, and I haven't read or edited mine yet either.

 
At 2/13/2006 8:33 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

Did you see it? Your Public Restroom Etiquette post got a Comment Of High Praise over at my site. (DIdn't want you to miss it)

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home