Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Your Lessons For The Day

Saturday, February 18, 2006


Geography
I live in Minnesota. This is about as far north as you can go in the US without running into Canada. It's also nearly perfectly centered in the US which means it is as far as possible from either ocean. This means that, even though Canada is north of Minnesota, some places there are warmer than here because they are closer to temperature-regulating large bodies of water.

Despite all this, and contrary to popular belief among those south who live south of Rochester, MN; I do not live in a frozen tundra. I would like to be perfectly clear on this point as I have spoken to people who either thought that it never reached any temperature above 15 degrees farenheit here, or thought that it must be at least 40 in the winter because no one could possibly survive anything colder than that. If you have ever believed either of these two statements, you were misinformed. It often gets into the 90's in the summer, and the human body can survive well below 40 degree temperatures as long as it has a warm house in which to spend most of it's time.

Meteorology
We have had a lovely warm winter here in Minnesota nice country. I don't think we've seen much less than 20 all winter – until yesterday, that is. Yesterday it suddenly plunged into "real" Minnesota winter weather with a predicted high today of -6. Yes, that is a minus sign before the six.

My Geek went out to meet a friend at a coffee shop this afternoon – proof positive that humankind can survive this cold, though that doesn't mean we have to like it.





Art

I found this fun website today and made a little of my own art. The first two are for my Geek. The third is for my blog. There was another for the Geek, but it was of the kind I could only let his eyes see.
Geek Love My Geek Love to Blog

History

The post previous to this one was my 150th post! Happy 150th to me!!


Math

If the Share the Love Blog Awards end at midnight Central time on Monday, February 20th and there are eleven categories to vote for, how soon should you get your little tushy over to the STL website?

Answer: NOW!! Go vote for goodness sake! I don't care if it's for me or not, just go vote!

1 Comments:

At 2/18/2006 10:17 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

Hi, LOVE the hearts. Very cute. (can't stand chalky taste of them, but hearts with sentiments - nothing better.)
Mike took Ethan-5yr to Brainerd (?) to some golf/fishing resort thing there. No idea if this is in your part of the state, but your much needed lesson in geography reminded me. They fished, golfed, and Mike wrecked a race car. Woo hoo, fun boy trip.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home