Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Extra! Extra!

Sunday, March 12, 2006


This morning as I showered and dressed I had a post forming in my head. The entire post could be summed up in the following statement: I have held many jobs in my life, but at 34 years of age I still don't know what I will be when I "grow up". The problem with this post was its tendency to lament, a thing I find myself doing all too much lately.

Later, I sat down at my computer to read some blogs. One of my favorite bloggers is Debra over at "As I See It Now". Her blog is one of my daily "must reads". She has a unique and refreshing perspective on everyday life that can pull me out of a funk without ever making me feel guilty or condemned. In fact, while I can't pin it down exactly, I'm pretty sure she's posted before about the futility of spending your life feeling guilty.

Today, her post, "Writing Your Own Newspaper" woke me up. It made me realize that I was approaching my perspective on life from a completely wrong angle. She wrote about choosing how we look at the world around us. We can watch the news and sink into the depths of despair, knowing that there's nothing we can do to solve all the horrible problems in the world, or we can choose to see the blessings God has given.

Sure, it seems almost too simple, too obvious – how many times have we heard this same concept, but sometimes a person can hear the same thing over and over again until one day someone forms those same words into a statement that just clicks. It goes beyond making sense to being a part of you. If you would have asked me before reading her post, I would have told you that I thought I was approaching life from a positive perspective, and in many ways I was, but I was still holding on to my resentment in some areas of my life.

Today, I have decided to "write my own newspaper". At the end of Debra's post, she encouraged her readers to write the headlines that would appear on their own newspaper, and that is what I am going to do. If I had my own newspaper, the headlines today would read:

Geek And Geekwif Prepare To Build Their Dream Dome Home In The Country

Geekwif Rejoices In The Hope That She Will Be a Housewife Someday

Sweet Geek Hubby Is Willingly Helpful In Keeping House Tidy

Geek and Geekwif's Kitties Have A Safe Place To Live While Home Is For Sale

Geekwif's Mother Celebrates 60th Birthday – Family Gathers For Evening Of Fun and Food


And there are so many more I could write. Today, I choose to be grateful for all the things I have. It doesn't mean that my life is perfect. It doesn't mean that I don't long for certain things, like a job that I can enjoy. It certainly doesn't mean that I will always walk around with a fake smile on my face no matter what I'm feeling. It simply means that I choose right now, in this moment, to realize that I've got a great life and so much to be thankful for.

6 Comments:

At 3/12/2006 6:05 PM, Blogger Debra wrote:

Wow, Geekwif... I am so honored that you mentioned my post... And there is something you said, well, it was an answer to prayer--something I had been asking God to do through me lately...Again, I am just so blessed that you wrote this--seriously. Thanks so much... Debra

 
At 3/12/2006 7:04 PM, Blogger Faith wrote:

I needed this today. I've been totally negative all day. Everybody elses fault of course! ;D thanks for the turn-around.

 
At 3/12/2006 9:38 PM, Blogger RANDI wrote:

Inspiring post! Thank you for reminding me to look for the good things around me instead of staring at the frustrating things--life is good!

 
At 3/13/2006 7:11 AM, Blogger Kristi wrote:

I'm such a "glass is half empty" type of person (despire my best efforts not to be) but reading this made me wish I wasn't. A new perspective on life is never a bad thing.

 
At 3/13/2006 2:29 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

way to go! i LOVE your headlines!

 
At 3/15/2006 10:13 AM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

Add this title:

Geekwif succeeds in Making Blond Girl Resume Blog Through Creative Motivation and Threats. tee hee

or this one:

Geekwif Successfully Hides Mozart Cat from Would-be Cat Napper (yes, I would give him a home :-)

or this one:

Geekwif Plans Decor for Beautiful DomeHome; Offers Tips and Hints for Your Next Rivendale Remodel

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home