Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

It's Only Fun Until Someone Gets Hurt

Sunday, April 02, 2006


Pants on FireIt's confession time. I'm a liar. I thought it might be fun to play an April Fool's joke, so I came up with something somewhat believeable and posted it. I really didn't think anyone would believe our names were Eliezer and Josephine. (The Geek suggested those names by the way. I think he actually likes the name Eliezer.)

Almost immediately after posting I started getting some very sweet comments from people who believed me! Do you think I was enjoying the success of my joke? NO! Instead I started feeling guilty. I fooled you into thinking I was doing something nice and here I was being a big old meany.

So...
Jeana, you were right not to picture me like that.
Diane, I'm sorry.
Blond Girl, well, of course you knew the truth (are you ashamed of me?)
Hot Rod Mama, see comment to BG.
Kristi, hooray for you, you figured it out!
HolyMama, right on both counts. I'm not blond, and thank you so much for not picturing me blond. Blond is one of those things that's great for other people, but not for me please.
BG again, that's funny. It does look like Jason!
Thumper, glad I didn't fool you. Though I suspect Max would have thought it was pretty funny if I did.
Debra, so sorry.

Whew. SO...after thinking it over I have decided to make it up to you...well, half-way. I'm still keeping Geek and Geekwif. They're more descriptive than our real names and if I lived in the Matrix world I'd totally go by Geekwif. The picture though, I have decided to share. You've already seen the Geek, but since I usually stick pretty close by him, here's a pic of us both. No fooling this time, I promise.
There we are. I'm not blond. We're a bit older than that other couple and this was about 3 years ago or so, though we still look pretty much the same. I'm not wearing any makeup and my hair is really bad and I'm wearing sloppy clothes. Can we call this picture penance?

On the other hand, the Geek looks pretty much as he always does; a big cute grinning goofy jolly guy. He makes that face in about 90% of the pictures he poses for. Then there was the one for his old Sam's Club card where he made a scary-looking psycho face just to see if he could freak out the employees. Yup, that's my cutie.

So now you know. I know I like to be able to picture the person who's blog I'm reading, and now, when you come here, you can too. And I sincerely hope none of you were hurt in the process.

UPDATE: Blond Girl reminded me that I never linked to Jeana who got me thinking in the first place about whether I should post pictures and names or not. I usually try to link to the bloggers I mention here, but I just forgot yesterday, so here it is. Jeana's post, Standard Blog Procedure. You really should all visit her. She's got some great stuff to say and always manages to make me laugh.

13 Comments:

At 4/02/2006 2:44 PM, Blogger Jeana wrote:

Actually, I was hurt in the process. I hurt my forehead when I slapped it with the palm of my hand.

You ARE brunette. The world seems back in balance.

And I like the grins. Both of them.

 
At 4/02/2006 7:56 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

Man, when I started commenting yesterday I had to stop myself from saying too much! I just laughed and laughed. To my "alternate universe" comment, I almost added "I can't believe you finally told!" just to add some credibility, but I just couldn't bring myself to go that far. I was hooked, though, and kept coming back all day to check your latest comments. I almost even called just to laugh in your ear.

Then, when Holy Mama said you're blond I almost got right back on the comments to blow the whistle on you. I might have still tried to keep your cover by saying something like "remember, it's an old picture. She's not blond now and hates to be considered blond. She took this picture the same day I commented that we have the same shade of hair and then dyed it the next day in protest", but again, I had to sit back silently and let it play out.

Nice to see you post the real pictures. I might even, maybe, do the same over in my world. One question, though... why didn't you put a link to Jenna, who started all this? I wanted to read what she had to say....

Good Joke, Jo. I bet Eleazer approved!

 
At 4/02/2006 8:56 PM, Anonymous Hot Rod Mama wrote:

Hm-m. Never even thought of the fact that it was April Fool's day. Just wondered why you would want anyone to think that was you. The new pic is sweet and adorable. I love it.
Blond Girl, loved the "alternate universe" concept.

 
At 4/02/2006 10:03 PM, Blogger yellojkt wrote:

You make a really cute couple. To really pull of the April Fools joke, it should have been a picture of Brad and Angelina.

 
At 4/03/2006 7:06 AM, Blogger Kristi wrote:

Ahh... much better! Very cute picture. Thanks for sharing! It's always nice to have a visual image of the people who write the blogs you visit everyday.

 
At 4/03/2006 10:04 AM, Blogger Susan wrote:

Geekwif, I have just infected you with The Indie Virus. Don't worry, it's not harmful! It's just a silly blog virus. Come to my blog to see how to infect others. You MUST infect others!

 
At 4/03/2006 1:26 PM, Blogger Me wrote:

I actually know some people who named their daughter Eliezer Obeyed. Yes, the child's middle name is OBEYED. Their son is Josiah Reformed.

I think I like Geewif so much better... So in their world, would your middle name be...PRANKED?

 
At 4/03/2006 5:37 PM, Blogger Julie Carobini wrote:

Geekwif,
I'm liking the new look of your website, btw.

As for the April foolin', so sorry I missed all the fun! I'll always picture you as the smiling gradeschooler near your bio, though, no matter how much you lie, uh, tease us :-).

 
At 4/03/2006 10:10 PM, Blogger Jan wrote:

What a cute picture!

 
At 4/04/2006 11:12 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

I miss you.

 
At 4/05/2006 5:01 PM, Blogger Praying for your Prodigal wrote:

Now, that is just WAY TO COOL!!!! Would that be WTC in cyber-lingo?

You are so creative....and so cute! There's not a mean bone in your body--I'm sure of it!

Way funny!

Belly and cheeks smile muscles...are sore...from ROFL!!!! Kids think I'm nuts...LOL alone in the computer room!

You are delightful!

Diane

 
At 4/05/2006 5:11 PM, Blogger Praying for your Prodigal wrote:

DON'T EVER DO THAT TO US AGAIN!!!!!!!

:) Diane

 
At 4/08/2006 10:11 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

you're so funny!

and the Geek?! He poses like that always? It looks like he's going to sneeze on you!

Y'all are too cute, and thank you thank you thank you for posting that picture. (and for not being blonde.)

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home