Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Seriously, I Should NOT Be Allowed Out In Public!

Friday, April 07, 2006


I've done it again. I have completely and obliviously embarrassed myself in public. Remember this post? Well, I've matched that. Maybe even out-done myself.

Today, I stopped at the convenience store after work to fill up my car with gas, and to get a little snack. One of my co-workers had a Tab Energy yesterday which holds no appeal to me, but reminded me of Red Bull which I love. My obsession required that I appease it, so joyfully reluctantly, I gave in.

I handed the check-out lady a five and took my change. There was a guy in nasty grungy clothes with many piercings who looked like he hadn't taken a shower in a month standing in line next to me – a little closer than I would have liked, but I'm paranoid that way. He was pulling out money to pay for his purchase while I was gathering my things, preparing to leave the store. As he did so, change went flying everywhere and he just stared at it obliviously. I thought, "Man, this guy must be seriously high to be throwing change about and then just stare at it like that. I'm out of here. What if he's here to rob the place or something?" Sure, a little judgemental, but I prefer to think of it as paranoid and self-preservational. (Is that a word? Pretty sure it's not.)

I got out to my car and realized as I saw my reflection in the window that the badge I have to wear all day every day at work was still hanging around my neck. I grabbed it and whipped it off quickly, really embarrassed that I was walking around public places with a bad picture of myself in plain view, not to mention that my name was out there for every psycho stranger to see. Duh.

I got in the car, set my wallet on top of my purse, opened my precious tasty Red Bull, and pulled out of the lot. When I arrived home, I picked up the wallet to put in inside the purse for easier carrying into the house.

As I picked it up, what do you think happened? Any guesses? No one?

My change started falling out all over the front seat. Yup, that's right people. The change pocket on my wallet was wide open.

Hmmm. Whose change do you think that was falling all over the counter at the convenience store? And who's the one looking oblivious? Yeah, that would be ME! No wonder the guy had a weird look on his face. He was probably thinking, "Man, this girl must be seriously high to be throwing change about and then just stare at it like that. I hope she gets out of here soon. What if she's here to rob the place or something?"

I think I wanna be a hermit. Public places and I just don't mix well.

********************************


Since I'm feeling like I'd like to crawl into a little hole right now, here's a poem I find amusing about being nobody.

I'm Nobody! Who are you?
Are you--Nobody--too?
Then there's a pair of us!
Don't tell! they'd advertise--you know!

How dreary--to be--Somebody!
How public--like a Frog--
To tell your name--the livelong June--
To an admiring Bog!

Emily Dickinson (1858)

8 Comments:

At 4/07/2006 6:56 PM, Blogger Jeana wrote:

Seriously--how did you resist the urge to change that last line to "to tell your name--the livelong June--to an admiring BLOG!"

Love the story. That's great!

 
At 4/07/2006 8:17 PM, Blogger Stephanie wrote:

You are too funny. I laughed out loud at this story while my hubby jsut glared at me over his shoulder for interupting his Friday night WWF..arghh. Anyway I love your site found it through Holymama, might have commented here before but not sure:0. I added you to my sidebar, hope you don't mind:)

 
At 4/07/2006 9:45 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

Oh, how I wish I could have been there! I love that darling shade of red you turn when stuff like this happens! tee hee.

 
At 4/07/2006 10:09 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

You might want to go visit crouching mommy, hidden laudry (http://musingsofstressedoutmom.blogspot.com/) . Her entire post today is in Haiku.

 
At 4/08/2006 7:31 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Jeana – sheer will-power...yeah, that's what it was – because really, it couldn't possibly be that I never even thought of it, right?

Stephanie – thank you! And feel free to add my name to any sidebar you like!

BG – I don't turn any shade of red, darling or otherwise. Nope, not me, never, huh-uh. ;)

 
At 4/08/2006 10:07 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

Oh, Geekwif, too funny! FYI, if you start throwing money around and I'm there, i'll just pick it up! Go ahead! No judgment here!

 
At 4/12/2006 9:35 AM, Blogger Jenny wrote:

So glad I'm not alone in blundering publicly. Yes, there is at least a pair of us! (Discovered your blog from Jeana. Enjoying it very much.)

 
At 4/12/2006 12:39 PM, Blogger Indigo wrote:

LMAO!! That's hilarious!!!

Did you go back and collect your change? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home