Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

The Great "GRY" Riddle

Saturday, May 13, 2006


Have you ever heard the riddle that goes something like this?

There are three words in the English language that end in GRY. Two are HUNGRY and ANGRY. The third one everyone uses every day and knows what it stands for. If you listened carefully, I already told you what the word is.

Doesn't really make much sense, does it? It's not even really a riddle.

Actually, I'd never even heard it until a couple days ago. My mom asked me, and the Geek and I racked our brains trying to figure it out, but could not come up with another word that ends in "gry". Well, duh. That's because there isn't one!

Later that evening, she found this, which explains why the commonly told riddle is wrong and what it originally was. The original riddle is a true riddle and is actually kind of funny. Anyway, for any of you who are a bit geeky like me, this is worth checking out.

2 Comments:

At 5/13/2006 4:42 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

yep, i'm a geek. my 8th grade english teacher gave this to us, but just asked us to come up with the other word that ended in -gry but wasn't 'angry.' i don't think i got it!

I'm ALL FOR THE 2 POST DAYS!! More of 'em, i say!!

 
At 5/15/2006 11:37 AM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

Well, I got as far as the "actual" riddle and had it solved instantly. Thank you. You know, I'm glad I never heard the flawed one; it would have driven me crazy. You know it would have. I'd have been reduced to a trembling mass of cherry jello mumbling "gry" over and over again.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home