Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Little Black Raspberry

Sunday, June 11, 2006


I’m not one of those people who thinks (or says) that their pets are their children. No, really. I can see how a person could have gotten the impression from some of my posts that I am one of those people, but I assure you – regardless of the fact that I have 5 cats and no children, I am perfectly aware of the difference between pets and children.

People refer to their children as their "pride and joy". My cats can certainly be a source of joy, but pride? Eh. Not so much. Their everyday feats tend to consist of things like:
  • taking the longest nap ever recorded in history,
  • leaving the most gak piles behind while running in circles around the living room with me close behind, paper towels and carpet cleaner in hand, or
  • leaping to the top of the kitty tower and upsetting its balance, thus knocking it over, making a huge thud as it hits the ground, and sending themselves and the other four cats running frantically in all directions like so many arrows sproinging from so many bows.
Furthermore, I rarely say out loud that I love my cats. I’ll say that I wuv them, but rarely love. I’m not saying that I don’t love them. I’m just saying that I won’t say it often. That’s all. Maybe it’s just one of those “there’s only one word in the English language for an idea that has a huge range of meanings” kind of things. I don’t know. I just can’t use the same word for my cats as I do for my husband, my goddaughter, and avocados. It’s just not right.

That said, I am incredibly fond of animals – most animals. I’m not fond of bugs at all. Are they animals? They’re certainly not vegetables (eewwww pbhhht pbhht), and while I’m not scientifically inclined, I’d be willing to go out on a limb and say that they are not minerals. I guess that leaves animals.

Anyway, I adore most animals. One of the first things I'd like to do when I get to heaven is go hug a big lion. Yes, like Aslan. I've wanted to do this since before I ever read the Chronicles of Narnia though. It's just one of those things I've "always" wanted to do. I know some people would argue with me over whether hugging a lion would be possible even in heaven, but to them I would say that if a lamb can lay down with a lion, then certainly I can too.

So, as I said before, we (the Geek and I) do have 5 cats, and now we are adding to our clan. We have adopted a precious little (for now) black lab puppy.

(I know that was a lot of garbage to wade through to get to my point, but it was worth it for the adorable pictures, don't you think?)

The Geek's cousin's dog had puppies – 10 of them – and we're taking one home in about 4 weeks. They're 4 weeks old right now and just beginning to romp around a bit without mom within the confines of the garage, of course.

We originally wanted the runt if it was a female. Turned out the runt was a male, but we were going to take him anyway. We decided to name him "Rasputin" and call him "Raz". The Geek was excited about calling him "Raz the Spaz" when he got crazy as all puppies will do from time to time.

Then we found out that the owners of the father wanted the runt. That meant that we would get one of the next smallest puppies which were females which is what we wanted in the first place. Now it looks like they want a small female, but since there are two small females we're still getting one of them.

You got all that?


Since we are now getting a female, Rasputin doesn't fit very well, so we're calling her "Raspberry" which, of course, still works with the nickname "Raz". We really can't tell the difference between the two small girls, so we're going out in about 2 weeks with a collar to claim our girl, but not to take her home yet.

I'm so excited I just can't say. We have wanted a dog since we first got married, but we've never had a big enough place. Now we figure we'll have 6 acres and if that isn't big enough, nothing is. I'm sure there will be plenty more pictures to come. In the meantime, join us in welcoming our little black Raspberry to our hearts and soon to our home.



What's next? Hmmmmm.

16 Comments:

At 6/12/2006 9:23 AM, Blogger Jeana wrote:

Welcome, Raz!
I'm totally Jazzed!
You may be a spaz, but
I don't know any more words that rhyme!

 
At 6/12/2006 9:11 PM, Blogger yellojkt wrote:

Those are very cute puppies. You should have taken them all.

 
At 6/12/2006 11:29 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

oh i love that name! what a lovely addition she'll be!

 
At 6/13/2006 10:46 AM, Blogger moe wrote:

Awe soooo cute. I want one. If only they stayed small like that and didn't pee all over and I didn't have to walk along with plastic bags ready to poop and scoop and well, I'm alergic.

So post lots of pictures and I'll live vicariously through you. Such a cute little raspberry

 
At 6/14/2006 2:12 PM, Blogger Praying for your Prodigal wrote:

Welcome to Rasberry! And can't wait to hear about your new......brown eyes! Will this Jersey be for milking....or just to look cute!?!?!? You're too funny! Enjoy your new little puppy--how could you just choose ONE!!!!!

Diane

 
At 6/17/2006 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote:

oh! So cute!
I'm so jealous! I can just see her romping through the garden with all her kitty siblings! Have fun!

Lara the crazy coconut girl.

 
At 6/17/2006 9:39 PM, Blogger Jan wrote:

How fun! Keep posting pictures as she grows.

 
At 6/18/2006 8:28 PM, Blogger Ginger wrote:

Those puppies are darling! I agree with Yellojkt: you should've taken them all. :)

 
At 6/20/2006 4:03 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

So does this mean that she'll be the geeklab or the geekdog? Or maybe the geekraz?

Yeah!

 
At 6/21/2006 11:19 AM, Blogger Julie Carobini wrote:

blond girl, wouldn't it be geekdo or geekra?

jk

i vote for the moo cow :-)

 
At 6/21/2006 6:02 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

Great idea on the abbreviation, but since "wif" is a title, I would say The Geekdo or The Geekla (lab). I guess we'll have to let The Geek and The Geekwif make the final determination...

 
At 6/23/2006 1:26 PM, Blogger Me wrote:

Totally off topic, but I just saw your summer reading challenge. What was your start date?

I too, am reading the Chronicles right now, all 7 straight through. I'm on the last one!

My reading goal is to read an average of 5-6 books per month for the whole year. I'm currently at 31 books. We'll see how it goes.

Oh, and the puppies are cute.

 
At 6/23/2006 5:24 PM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Sojourning,

My start date was June 1. I actually started the Chronicles in the end of May, and just finished the last one. Good for you, reading 5-6 books/month! It seems like a lot, but I guess I'm well on my way to doing the same.

 
At 6/24/2006 11:21 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

Oh Geekwif.... (singsong that)...

You missed something important.... go to my blog to see what!

 
At 6/25/2006 10:22 PM, Blogger Faith wrote:

How sweet!!! Now you can have cat AND dog puke to clean up!!! Just kidding. Raz is adorable and labs make great pets!!

 
At 7/05/2006 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote:

Okay, I agree. I love my cats but don't usually say it with the same affection as I would about people, or Jesus, or chocolate (sorry). Those puppies are darn cute. How exciting. Keep me posted.

Bec

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home