Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

6 Weird Things About Me

Saturday, February 02, 2008


When Holy Mama posted this meme (like, a million years ago), she thought that "everyone in the world had already posted their 6 Weird Things." Well, make that every one but me. I've seen many different versions (mostly involving different numbers) of this floating around blog-world for almost as long as I've been blogging, yet this is the first time (in my recollection) that I have done it.

1. I hate chocolate. Really, really hate it. I can't stand the smell of it. When I smell gooey chocolate stuff baking it makes me a little sick.

People don't really get this – I mean beyond the shocked "you don't like chocolate!?" that I hear every time a new person discovers this about me.

A friend once told me that she didn't like chocolate either, but soon after I found her eating a brownie. When I inquired she responded that she didn't like chocolate with mint. Hello? That's like me saying I don't like cheese because I don't like cheese with...okay, bad example. I can't think of anything that doesn't go with cheese. But you get the idea, right?

Oh yeah, and white chocolate? IT'S STILL CHOCOLATE!! I can't begin to tell you how many people have tried to convince me that it's not chocolate because it's white. Yeah. It still has cocoa in it. It's still chocolate.

2. I don't like strawberries either. Strawberry flavored candy is okay...sometimes...but I really don't like strawberries. They're not as bad as chocolate, and I actually like the smell of them, but I could probably count on one hand the number of strawberries I've eaten in my lifetime and those were mostly only to see if my taste had changed.

It hasn't.

3. I've never seen the movie, "Titanic". Never have, never will. I am completely and utterly uninterested in seeing this movie. Someone once told me that it was irresponsible of me not to see it because it was about an important event in history. Yeah. Sorry. Not gonna happen.

4. My husband can remember every detail and every date of our courtship/engagement. I can't remember a single date and few details. Most of it is just kind of a blurry haze of googly-eyed-ness.

5. I hate puns. Seriously. Not just roll-my-eyes-in-mock-disgust hate. I actually despise them. I know I'm setting myself up with this one, but nonetheless, there it is. My Geek delights in torturing me with puns as did my dad before him.

6. Sometimes I secretly do weird number and letter gymnastics in my head – mostly when I'm bored. Nothing to do with math. I'm no genius doing complex equations in my head by any means.

For example, I once discovered that two co-workers, who happened to be sisters but had different last names due to marriage, had the same distance between the first letter of their first and last names. One had the initials B.H. and the other V.P. If you count the distance between B and H, and V and P, you'll find they are both 7 letters apart.

Of course, simple math would tell you that what follows is that the distance is the same between the first letter of each of their first names as between the first letter of each of their last names.

I know. I’m a freak.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 2/03/2008 12:04 AM, Blogger Scribbit wrote:

That number/letter thing is really . . . um . . . something :)

But I'm with you on Titanic--rather dumb movie anyway. ANd "irresponsible??" I just don't get that.

 
At 2/03/2008 5:18 PM, Blogger HolyMama! wrote:

i do a version of number 6 too!

and today i'm giving away the mint truffles on my blog and just the other day i was thinking how everyone seemed to like that idea. then i stopped and thought, well. not geekwif. i bet she'd rather gag than win that particular giveaway. how ODD that geekwif doens't like chocolate.... i wonder if she really gets how odd that is...?

Big huge conversation in my head just the other day. yep.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home