Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Help Me Out, Girls!

Friday, August 18, 2006


As far as I know, most of you who read my blog are girls. (I'm only aware of one guy who reads my blog, and yellojkt, if you have any suggestions you're welcome to add your 2 cents too.) I've heard there are girls out there who don't like chick flicks, but I personally have never met one. So where are you girls when I need you?!!

Maybe you missed my request for help.

I thought I'd get a flood of suggestions. Everyone has a favorite movie or two or three. What's yours? If someone asked me to suggest my favorite chick flicks, I'd have to say "Pride and Prejudice" (A&E version, of course), Ever After, Under the Tuscan Sun, Anne of Green Gables.... The list could go on and on. Problem is I already own and have seen those a hundred times. I'm looking for something new (to me) or something I haven't seen in a while.

I gave some
criteria, but you have permission to stray a little if you have a great suggestion that doesn't match what you see there. I'm going to Blockbuster on my way home from work tonight, so please – if you have any suggestions for me, let me know.

I'm coming up blank here, Girls! Help me!


P.S. Many thanks to Jeana who gave some great suggestions. I'm considering Walk the Line because of you, Jeana, though I must confess I'm not a huge fan of country music. I know. I'm a heathen. I've heard good things about that movie though.

P.P.S. If you're one who doesn't like chick flicks and really don't have any suggestions for me, you could suggest a wine. Preferably dry and red, though I'm open to white if you can convince me I'll like it.

4 Comments:

At 8/18/2006 8:46 AM, Blogger Ginger wrote:

For what it's worth, I didn't like "Walk the Line" that much.

My suggestions: Mona Lisa Smile, Before Sunrise, I Am Sam, and Enchanted April, probably in that order. Loved them all!

Good luck with it!

 
At 8/18/2006 3:37 PM, Blogger yellojkt wrote:

I may be too late, but anything with Julia Roberts in it is a safe bet. Pretty Woman and My Best Friend's Wedding are the cream of the crop. I second Before Sunrise, but I've been to Paris so that affects my judgement. For non-chick action get Oceans 11, but not 12.

 
At 8/18/2006 4:50 PM, Blogger Jeana wrote:

Sudden inspiration!

The Notebook
Tristan and Isolde
13 Going on 30
The wedding Singer
Sweet Home Alabama
Legally Blonde, 1 and 2

I was going to warn you that several of my friends weren't as crazy about Walk the Line. What I thought was so good about it was the performances. And the music. I was so impressed that Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon sung it all themselves. Plus I had read Cash's biography and really liked it and him, so I was pretty interested.

Wines--can't help you there. I mostly go for mixed drinks or Smirnoff coolers. They've got all those yummy Jolly Rancher flavors. My favorites are grape, mandarin orange and watermelon. And green apple. And also Black Cherry. But you know I don't drink them that much...

 
At 8/19/2006 8:34 AM, Blogger Jan wrote:

what Jeana said.....And rasberry ;)
I loved Walk the Line, for most of the same reasons as Jeana, and also because we have always been JC fans. I'm not much on chick flicks. We mostly like old black and white stuff from the 30s and 40s, like the Thin Man movies, almost anything with Bogart and Bacall, oh and the Charlie Chan mysteries!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home