Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

I Am From...

Monday, January 15, 2007


This one went around the blogosphere a while ago, but I'm just now getting to it. I picked it up from Holy Mama.

I am from swing sets whose feet pulled out of the ground when you swung really high, water fights with squirt guns and squirt bottles, and the sand box under the flowering crabapple tree.

I am from snow days, snow suits, snow angels, bread bags inside boots, and scarves that covered everything but your eyes.

I am from Christmas at Grandma's house with home-made lefse, cookies, turkey, oyster stew, (and better yet, oyster crackers), served on Grandma's delicate, pink-flowered china.

I am from summers with Grandma, bike rides to the zoo, getting out of the tub to see a rainbow, and playing games until 2 a.m.

I am from late night New Year's Eve, watching Three Stooges marathons, and doing puzzles with Mom and Dad.

I am from piano lessons, violin lessons, and singing and playing for church ladies.

I am from silly jokes, playing games, reading stories together, and reading the Bible together as a family.

I am from Sunday morning church and Sunday School, late night Christmas Eve in the candle-light, and new dresses for Christmas and Easter.

I am from a house filled with music: classical, dixieland jazz, and a little light Christian rock and roll.

I am from stacks upon stacks of records and books in every room of the house.

I am from bedtime stories, bedtime prayers, nightlights, and music playing softly until I fell asleep.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1/16/2007 3:21 PM, Blogger scribbit wrote:

How pretty and poetic. I love that.

 
At 1/17/2007 1:06 PM, Anonymous Holymama! wrote:

this was so great!!

my sister and i used to yell at each other 'don't make it TUMP over.' meaning, of course, the swingset when the legs started to come out of the ground. such an adrenaline rush for a kid!

i'm sending her over here, just to read this!!

 
At 1/19/2007 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote:

Oh! How beautiful.

I always hated it when the bread bags didn't match.

I could feel it. Getting out of the tub to see a rainbow. I could smell that after the rain smell, too.

Ahhh.

Judy - Anybody Home
www.judyh58.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home