Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Thanks For the Suggestions!

Saturday, August 19, 2006


Sweet Home AlabamaSo I ended up at Blockbuster last night with a list of 12 movies to choose from, based on your recommendations. Thank you!
I decided to see Sweet Home Alabama at Jeana's suggestion. Great movie! Light-hearted and fun, which is exactly what I was looking for last night. I laughed, I cried, but I laughed more than I cried which of course means it met criteria #3.

There was an alternate ending – actually the original ending – in the DVD extras. OH MY GOODNESS, am I ever glad that they changed it. The original ending would have ruined the entire movie. If you ever rent/buy this movie on DVD, you have to be sure to watch it. Horrible, I tell you, horrible! The other ending, not the movie. Okay, I'm making this too confusing.

Just watch the movie, darn it. It's good!

Just Like HeavenFor my second movie, I was going to get Saving Grace. A co-worker recommended it and it sounded really funny. Unfortunately, BB didn't carry it, nor did they carry Enchanted April, which Ginger suggested and I really wanted to check out. But while I was browsing, I ran across Just Like Heaven and decided to watch it since I couldn't get the others. I guess it was just destined to be a Reese Witherspoon kinda night.

JLH was fun too, and funny. The character is similar to the female lead in SHA – somewhat high-strung, career driven girl who is forced by her circumstances to take the time to re-evaluate what is really important to her. Nonetheless, I enjoyed this one a lot. In fact, it may even find it's way into my personal DVD library.

Mark Ruffalo is great. I liked him in 13 Going On 30 (love that movie!) for the same reason I liked him in this one. He seems real. He's not drop-dead gorgeous. He just plays a real genuine guy very well.

So there you have it. There are a few of your suggestions I still want to check out, like Saving Grace, Enchanted April, Muriel's Wedding. Most of the others you suggested I've already seen and many I even own and love.

Thanks again for your help, girls! (And guy!) It was a nice quiet, enjoyable evening at home, thanks to you.

Oh, yeah, and I almost forgot one very important thing! I inadvertently ran across my favorite ice cream last night when I was grocery shopping! Woo hoo! Perfect way to top off the night.

7 Comments:

At 8/19/2006 1:22 PM, Blogger Jeana wrote:

Wow, I saw SHA on video tape (it was given to us) so I missed the alternate ending. I liked that movie better after the first time--the first time I saw it I was torn, because the other guy was so great. And HELLO, who would turn down...okay, I'll save it for those who haven't seen it.

JLH was fun too.

 
At 8/19/2006 4:26 PM, Anonymous Lauren wrote:

We have SHA on VHS, I highly doubt I'll ever see it on DVD. You siply must tell me the alternate ending. Purty please?

 
At 8/19/2006 4:57 PM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

SPOILER ALERT!!!! DO NOT READ THIS COMMENT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE ENDING TO SWEET HOME ALABAMA!!

===============================

Jeana and Lauren, since you asked, here's how the alternate ending goes.

Remember at the end how they end up back on the same beach where they first kissed when they were kids? In the alternate ending, there's a bright flash while they're kissing on the beach which makes it look like they've been hit by lightning. Then everything goes white.

The next scene is the reception, only this time it's a big fancy reception under a tent with a full band and linen table cloths on the tables. All the guests are dancing.

Jake comes over a hill carrying Melanie in his arms. She's completely limp and he looks very grim. One by one, the guests notice him as he enters the tent and just stands there looking lost.

Once he has the attention of all the guests, he announces, "Melanie Carmichael is dead!" They zoom in on her mother's face. She looks absolutely devastated. After a too long pause, he smiles and says, "Meet Melanie Perry!" and she leaps out of his arms.

Everyone gasps, smiles and starts dancing again.

It's awful. Just really really awful.

 
At 8/19/2006 7:02 PM, Blogger Jeana wrote:

Eew. Yuck.

 
At 8/20/2006 1:41 AM, Blogger Camy Tang wrote:

I loved Sweet Home Alabama and completely agree with you on the ending that they thankfully changed!

I've never seen Just Like Heaven but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mark Ruffalo. He was great in The Last Castle and then 13 Going On 30.

Camy

 
At 8/22/2006 1:57 PM, Anonymous Lauren wrote:

I hate the alternate ending, hate, hate, hate it. Thanks for letting us in on it.

 
At 8/23/2006 8:11 AM, Blogger Debra wrote:

Oh, I loved Just Like Heaven and I've recommended it to a lot of people. I'd like to see it again. Thanks for describing the alternate ending of SHA---I missed it when we rented the dvd.... sounds like I didn't miss much--goofy, indeed! :) ... Debra

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home