Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

There's A Name For That

Saturday, August 05, 2006


I have a dilemma. Actually, I had a dilemma. Thanks to Jeana, that dilemma has now been resolved.

Several years ago, my Geek and I decided to become vegetarians. As with many of the decisions we make, we made this decision for somewhat non-traditional reasons. While we adore animals, we did not do it for animal rights. We did it for health because of the nasty stuff that lives in meat and for Biblical reasons.

We had a friend who had recently gone through a "detoxification" program. (Not the alcohol/drug type.) We were shocked and appalled to find out what is living in our bodies because of the meat we eat. Neither of us did the detox ourselves, but we figured at least we would not be adding to the problem.

When God created Adam and Eve, he only have them plants to eat. The animals were subject to them, but they did not eat them. God only gave humans permission to eat meat after the flood, at which point it is very likely people had begun to eat meat anyway, with or without God's permission.

Based on that, we figured that God made our bodies to live off of vegetables in his original design, which led us to what seemed like the logical conclusion that we would be healthier if we eat only what God originally intended.

Now, all that said, I absolutely do not judge anyone for eating meat. This is not a matter of "I'm doing it right and you're doing it wrong". God did, afterall, give us permission to eat meat, so I have no basis or right to judge. I am simply explaining why we chose to eat this way.

Since that time, the Geek and I have both begun to eat meat on occasion – he moreso than I. I try to eat veggie, and find that I actually prefer it in most cases. We never cook meat at home. All dishes that I prepare are vegetarian. The problem is that some restaurants that we really like don't offer much for vegetarian options and eating the same dish every time we go to a particular restaurant can get very dull.

Also, while my friends are graciously accomodating, it is difficult to stick with a vegetarian diet when you are a guest at someone's table. Thus, I will usually eat whatever is placed before me, but I do certainly appreciate that my close friends make special efforts to give me vegetarian options.

So, the dilemma with which I have been faced is this: what am I?

I'm not exactly a vegetarian since I eat meat sometimes. When asked, I usually end up saying something confusing like "I'm a vegetarian – well, most of the time, but I do eat chicken once in a while, but only when it's pretty much the only option – well, once in a while it's not the only option – but I do eat veggie most of the time, and always at home, unless we're ordering Chinese delivery...."

What a pain in the tuckus!

However, my woes are now over. Jeana has solved this problem. I was reading her Thursday 13 this week and followed her link from #6 to read her true confessions. Number 6 of her true confessions answered my question once and for all.

I am no longer a "part-time sort-of vegetarian when it's convenient". I now have a name. I'm a flexitarian!

Yay!

I am, however, very glad to say that I am most certainly not a freegan. What goes in the garbage can, stays in the garbage can.

7 Comments:

At 8/05/2006 11:33 AM, Blogger yellojkt wrote:

That's a great word. Not everybody with vegetarian preferences is hardcore, so that makes the situation clear. My mother-in-law is very vegan for religious reasons which means she usually has to cook her own meals when she visits, but she cooks meat dishes for us.

 
At 8/05/2006 3:57 PM, Blogger Jeana wrote:

Glad I could help. Now back to my turkey leg...

 
At 8/06/2006 9:30 PM, Blogger Ginger wrote:

That's hilarious! "Flexitarian"...I'll have to tell Husband about that one, since he's in the club. Thanks for passing on the good label. :)

My mom is a pathologist, by the way, and when she saw all the heebie-jeebies under the microscope when going through residency, she became vegetarian and brought us up that way, as well. It's not difficult, really. Okay, maybe more difficult on the east side of the country than in the west, where I live.

 
At 8/06/2006 10:48 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

Is that like "what happens in vegas stays in vegas"? Yeah, I usually leave things in my garbage can... I don't like to pull things back out.

Darn, I just realized that I am really going to miss being one of those creatively accomdodating friends! I may have to cook veggie every now and again just to keep myself in practice. I certainly haven't seen any evidence of veggie only eating in my soon to be new home....

 
At 8/06/2006 10:53 PM, Blogger Faith wrote:

Too funny!!!! I could probably be a vegetarian - well, ya know most of the time! HEHEHE!

 
At 8/07/2006 8:45 PM, Blogger Tracie wrote:

That is great!!

My husband isn't quite a freegan, but he can't stand to see food thrown away......example-if we go to a restaurnat or fast food plac enad they make something wrong, and then we complain, they will come take away the wrong food, and replace it with the right food. My husband will always ask, "what are you going to do with that?" and if they answer "throw it away" he will ask to keep it--even pay for it so that it doesn't get thrown away-then he will proceed to eat the food he ordered and the food he saved from the garbage!

 
At 8/11/2006 12:07 AM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

great explanation. i love the reasoning behind your choice. and i'm so glad that you're the first f word and not the second one. freegan. ew.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home