Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

What On A Plane???

Friday, August 25, 2006


This morning I was at the sink in the bathroom when I saw something move behind the soap dispenser. I peered around it, and sure enough there was a huge, nasty, creepy crawly thing there. Living in a house that is almost 100 years old, we have a lot of them, and no matter how long I live with them, I never get any more comfortable with them.

I jumped back with a "yeeep!" and then gave my best, most plaintive plea for help.

"Huuuu-NEE"

He always knows what that means.

"Yeeess?" he answered tentatively.

Sweetly, "Come be my hero?"

No immediate answer.

"There's a spider in here the size of my hand."

"Does that mean you want me to come get rid of it?"

Meekly, "Um, yes."

Of course when he saw it, he corrected my logic as is required by all men.

"That's not anywhere near the size of your hand!"

Well, yeah. My butt isn't really the size of Texas or China either, but my analogies alternate regularly between the two.

So, he came, with deadly paper towel in hand, and my hero slew the dragon and dropped it in the garbage. Of course, he was properly rewarded with kisses and praises from the damsel.

You know, I'm not terribly fond of snakes, but if they wanted to make a really scary movie?

They'd call it "Spiders On A Plane".

6 Comments:

At 8/25/2006 11:51 AM, Blogger yellojkt wrote:

Keep reminding yourself that spiders are good and eat other bugs. Not that that makes them any less creepy looking.

 
At 8/25/2006 7:17 PM, Blogger theresa wrote:

I can handle anything except rodents, they just creep me out.

 
At 8/27/2006 9:44 PM, Anonymous Lauren wrote:

the house we live in is also almost a hundred years old. Trust me, I know too well these creatures of which you speak. Yuck! I force everyone in the family to be my hero.

 
At 8/28/2006 10:56 PM, Blogger Grim Reality Girl wrote:

When a hero is not present the upside down glass over the invading creature is a good defense. Also -- flush the corpse to prevent a Freddy Kruger come back.... trust me. (my home was built in 1917.... spiders here too).

 
At 8/29/2006 8:56 PM, Blogger Faith wrote:

There really was a spider the size of my hand in my tub not too long ago! Really, no lie!! Hubby didn't believe me either --- until he saw it!!!! Bleh!!!

 
At 8/30/2006 8:35 AM, Blogger RANDI wrote:

Spiders, snakes, rats--all of it--YUCK!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home