Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

You Are Who You Are

Friday, September 08, 2006


There's an epidemic taking over our nation – probably even our world. You won't hear about it from the goverment or the news media. There won't be any public service announcements or mass innoculations. This disease travels from the brain and then attacks the heart with deadly force, and yet to my knowledge it hasn't even been named. If I were to name it, I might call it microdeititis – the disease of making God too small.

We're all guilty of it – at least I've never met anyone who wasn't. I'm particularly guilty of it, and I know better. We used to sing a song in church all the time. The chorus said, "I have made You too small in my eyes. Oh Lord, forgive me. And I have believed in a lie that You were unable to help me."* I sang it, and I believed that I believed it, and I believed that I believed that He was bigger than I let Him be.

This week I found out that my temp assignment was over as of September 15th. I've had this job for almost a year now despite the fact that it's a temporary position, and I was hoping it would last long enough for us to complete the construction of our home...but it didn't. One of my first thoughts was how this would affect the bank's decision to give us a loan. Panic ensued shortly thereafter. (I know because my complexion never fails to reveal to me when I'm panicking by reverting to it's 16-year-old state of zittiness.)

Then a song started running through my head. I'd heard it on the radio several times before and the music really caught me. It's the music that usually does. If I don't like the music, I may not even get so far as to listen closely to the words, but this time I did. The song is by a group called "Casting Crowns". It's called "Praise You In This Storm". You can read the entire lyric by clicking that link, but here's the chorus.
I'll praise you in this storm
I will lift my hands
You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never leave my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise you in this storm*
It doesn't matter what my problems are. It's not about me. It's about Him. This is just a glimpse of how big He really is.

It's not even about Him fixing my problems or giving me what I want. It's about Him. Just that. Just Him. Not what He does. Not why He does it. Not what's in it for me.

Just Him.

And He deserves my praise no matter what. He is who He is no matter where I am. It's a little scary, because this means I don't necessarily get what I want when I want it, but it's also comforting, because He is faithful above all others.

I don't have to be in control of the universe because He is.

I don't have to be in control of my circumstances because He is.

He just is. And that's more than enough.


*All quoted lyrics in this post are copyrighted by their respective owners.

5 Comments:

At 9/08/2006 2:48 PM, Blogger Ginger wrote:

This is a WONDERFUL post! I love the thoughtfulness and the faith you express.

I keep being reminded that it's the scary times that bring us to Him, which always ends up with us becoming more LIKE Him. :)

Blessings to you....

 
At 9/08/2006 3:14 PM, Blogger Jeana wrote:

Did my copyright post make you nervous? Because it wasn't meant to. :-)

 
At 9/08/2006 10:38 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

YEA, yea, YEA! Excellent outlook, with a great soundtrack, to boot!

I"ll pray. Because He is in control, so He's the one i'll talk to about it for you. You'll be great. He is your provision, Sept 16, and today.

 
At 9/09/2006 1:39 AM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

Amen.

It reminds me of Debra's post about being happy - not becuase you've done something to deserve to be happy, but just because God is.

He is. And He knows.... and He loves our praise, stormy or not.

Thanks for the reminder.

 
At 9/10/2006 8:53 PM, Blogger Lauren wrote:

I'm sorry about the job but I do love this post and your outlook.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home