Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Bloggy Tour of Testimonies

Sunday, October 01, 2006


I heard a story once about an old woman who stood up at a prison evangelism meeting to give her testimony. It went something like this:

"I am so grateful to God, my Savior. He saved me from a life of drugs, alcohol, and prostitution. He saved me from being a murderer, and a thief. Because of his great love, I have had the privilege to live my entire life free from all these things."

My testimony is very similar. God has been good to me and it is only because of his great love that I have been saved from all these things without ever having to live through any of them. Still, I am human and Romans 3:22-24 is true.
"This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus."

I believe I gave my heart to Jesus when I was a very young child, though I don't remember the specific moment. I really don't remember ever not knowing Him, or a time when my heart did not belong to Him.

My grandma was an amazing Christian woman who prayed fervently for her children and grandchildren, and my parents took me to Sunday School every week despite the fact that they were not yet saved themselves. I had plenty of opportunity to hear about Jesus' love for me
.

When I was in my pre-teen years, my parents (who had been saved when I was six) started attending a new church, full of people who were very vocal and very ambitious in their various ministries and callings. After listening to many of these messages, I began to fear that maybe I wasn't saved after all. Maybe I did it the wrong way. Maybe I wasn't in the right state of mind when I prayed before. Maybe I never really prayed at all. Maybe if I died tonight I wouldn't go to heaven.

So, I would lie in my bed night after night, begging God to save me, to take away my sins, naming as many sins as I could remember in hope that He would forgive me for them. I don't remember when I stopped doing this and finally realized that I was indeed saved and had no reason to worry, but I did.

I now know that it doesn't take magic words or just the right state of mind to be accepted by God. The Bible says in Romans 10:9-10:
"That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved."

I do still believe that I was saved when I was a little child. I loved Jesus and believed that he died to save me, and I accepted that gift with gratefulness. However I think it was okay - even good - that I spent that time in my pre-teen years seeking God's forgiveness, though I am glad I eventually learned to seek him out of a passion for being in right-standing with the Lord I love, rather than out of fear.

I've often felt my testimony was inferior, that it didn't really show God's love and his saving grace because there wasn't any horrible past from which I needed Him to rescue me; but the fact is that he has rescued me. He rescued me from the sins I have commited, because the "size" of the sin doesn't matter. (...for all have sinned...) Just like the old woman, he rescued me from the pain and suffering that so many people have had to live through because of the life they led before they met Him. He rescued me before I even knew I needed rescuing.


If you would like to read more testimonies of God's love and grace, please visit the home of the "Bloggy Tour of Testimonies" at Lauren's blog, "Created for HIS Glory". At the end of her testimony, there is a list of participant links. Thanks for taking the time to read mine, and if you have any questions, please leave that question in a comment. Jesus loves you just like He loves me, no matter what your life has been like, and I would love to share that with you.

10 Comments:

At 10/01/2006 7:16 PM, Blogger Erna wrote:

I appreciated your testimony today. I liked your sharing that sin is sin no matter the size. I too shared in my testimony how I didn't have anything dramatic that led me to the Lord but I am living for Him. My walk with Him has been a process, a journey, and continues to be one. Thanks for sharing today!

 
At 10/01/2006 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote:

I am very thankful that you shared your testimony. I think Satan has some of us believe that our testimony is not important, not earth shattering so we don't speak up, but that is all part of his plan. And you are right, sin is sin not matter the size.

 
At 10/01/2006 8:33 PM, Blogger Kim wrote:

Thank you for sharing your testimony! I think every persons testament of what God has done in his/her life is a value beyond measure...priceless!! God is so good!

 
At 10/01/2006 9:02 PM, Anonymous Barbara H. wrote:

I can so relate to struggling with whether I "did it right" and praying over and over -- it took me so long to just simply take God at His Word.

Amen and amen to your last paragraph!!!

 
At 10/02/2006 9:38 AM, Blogger Kili @ Live Each Moment wrote:

You are right, all have sinned. Your sins are no bigger or worse than mine. And my sins are no bigger or worse than yours!

Thanks for sharing. I just posted mine today

 
At 10/02/2006 8:31 PM, Blogger Faith wrote:

Great testimony. God is good all the time. Mine is up on tuesday!

 
At 10/03/2006 7:52 PM, Blogger Lauren wrote:

Each testimony is beautiful and amazing in a different way and no one should feel anyone of them better. God knew to draw you to Himself at a young age just as He knew I was of the stubborn variety and would need to feel the consequences of a few of my sins first. Praise God that He loves us that much! Thank you for sharing.

 
At 10/03/2006 8:02 PM, Blogger Jammy wrote:

Do not feel your testimony is inferior, it is not. We are all sinners, in need of a savior.

Isaiah 64:6
All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

If our righteous acts are like filthy rags, just imagine our sins, small or large....sin is sin. New life in Christ is regeneration! We have all been very blessed by God's infinite mercy.

 
At 10/05/2006 8:57 AM, Blogger MegLogan wrote:

Praise God. It is true, all sin is sin. In fact I think my explaining that to my MIL really got her thinking on how SHE really was a sinner, and praise God she is saved now too.

Mrs Meg Logan

 
At 10/30/2006 3:00 PM, Blogger justin wrote:

Thanks for sharing your testimony. I was wondering if you'd like to post it on my new site called ShareMyTestimony.org?

I created the site to let Christians share their testimonies, and read other testimonies to see how God is working in the lives of others.

If you'd like to contact me, you can click on the contact link on my site.

Thanks,
Justin

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home