Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

On Geekiness, Nerdiness, and a Preference for Solitude

Friday, October 27, 2006


Way back in July, I happened across this test of nerdiness when visiting Brenda over at Rocking Chairs and Rainbows. I was somewhat dismayed to find out that my score was a measly 34.
I am nerdier than 34% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!
I made a comment to Brenda about needing to brush up on my periodical table or some such thing. How dare I call myself the Geekwif if I can't even get a decent nerd score!

Today, I revisited that test to see if anything had changed in the past few months. My score had improved enough to move me up from the dregs of Nerd Wannabes to the slightly improved ranks of the lightly nerdy.
I am nerdier than 45% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!
I'm still below average, but that's okay. After all, I'm the Geekwif, not the Geek, and even my Geek is not a nerd. (Yes, there is a difference!)

My new job is in the "geek department" (tech dept.) of the same company where I have worked as a temp for the past year. I'm in a different building this time, but same company. It's interesting working in a large room packed with technologically prone people. One day I was walking among the cubicals and overheard a conversation about the pros and cons of binary code vs. hex. This led to a discussion of the participants' preferences between the two. (At my old job conversations tended to revolve around our latest shopping experience, or what we had for dinner the previous night.)

The department is divided up into 3 parts. The first level is agent support. They don't even get to be called techs, though they can offer some minimal technical support.

Then there are the second level techs. They help with things that tend to be just slightly over my head, but only because I've never taken the time to learn them. If I give any effort at all I can generally understand what they are talking about. This is where my job lies – well, sort of – but I don't sit with them. I am considered a tech, but I work exclusively with one piece of equipment, where the rest of them work on the second level with all equipment the company uses. By the way, these are the guys who were having the binary vs. hex conversation. That, I assure you, was definitely over my head.

Then, there are the third level techs. These are the elusive, exclusive, cream-of-the-crop, the creme de la creme. If you are an agent calling for help, you can't even get transferred to these guys. You never call them. They call you. These are the geekiest of the geeks, and the nerdiest of the nerds. And I sit pretty much right smack in the middle of them. It's a little intimidating, knowing that they can hear every word I say if they care to listen. Sometimes I worry that they might sit over there laughing at me. (Foolish mortal!)

I was lamenting this to my own personal Geek (who would probably fit right in with the exclusive third level techie club – he speaks their language) earlier this week when he assured me that I had nothing to worry about. He said that they probably only knew I existed in the sense that there was suddenly a female in their midst where there had been none before – nothing more. They don't care what I say any more than I care what an ant says to his compadres. (Actually, I'd kind of like to know what an ant might say to his compadres. Oh wait, I saw that movie. Never mind.) They could truly not care less what I might say to my agents, and are surely not listening to a word I say over that cube wall.

This is fine with me. I like my solitude. My resume, of course, says I work well with a team; and it's true in that I "play well with others", but the reality is that I prefer to work alone. Sitting in my own little cube, surrounded by people who really don't care what I'm saying – it works for me.

3 Comments:

At 10/28/2006 12:34 AM, Blogger Champs wrote:

WHAT....EVER!! How can mine be a 53. I am not a geek! My name isn't Arthur amd I am not from Fargo!

 
At 10/29/2006 5:32 PM, Blogger yellojkt wrote:

I got an 87, but then I'm an engineer. It's required.

 
At 11/02/2006 10:20 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

I got a 24. I think that's about right for someone called "blond girl"...

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home