Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

A Subtle Change

Sunday, October 29, 2006


I love quotes. Albert Einstein rocks in this arena. So does Mark Twain, and Madeleine L'Engle has some very interesting things to say as well. I know I'm not alone in this infatuation. Many bloggers have a quote somewhere in their blog template whether prominently displayed at the top of the page, or discreetly tucked in along the sidebar. One blog I visited recently even had quote upon quote boldly emblazoned along the entire length of her sidebar. Brilliant, I thought, but my sidebar is already well-used, and I tend to be a subtle girl, so I have made a subtle change.

For well over a year now – actually since I started blogging back in June 2005 – a sort of description of my blog has been at the top of the page, stating that here you would find many "ments". Deducements, arguments, wonderments, entertainment, etc. could be found in the pages of my blog according to my blog description.

Lately, that has begun to bug me. It wasn't even true. Not really. Deducements? When have I ever deduced anything on this blog? Arguments? I'm really not much of an arguer. Debate is far from one of my strong points (which makes it very interesting living with a man who was once a champion debater in school). Okay, I kind of like wonderments, but only because it was a cool word.

So I made a change, albeit a subtle one. From now on, a favorite quote will decorate the subheader of my blog. I will change it at will when I tire of the current one, or when I find something new and exciting. I've been doing this with my email signature for years now. It gives me a chance to see and to share quotes that I find meaningful, funny, comforting or inspiring. I hope they inspire you too.

3 Comments:

At 10/29/2006 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote:

I think your first choice is charming. An apt quote for creative people! ... However, some might find it rather alarming coming from a scientist :)

 
At 10/30/2006 4:13 AM, Blogger Chaotic Mom wrote:

I like this one, logic vs. imagination. I'm trying to teach my boys to USE their imagination more. ;)

 
At 10/30/2006 6:30 AM, Blogger Jeana wrote:

I always loved the word wonderments too.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home