Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Visiting Chez Blond Girl

Saturday, November 18, 2006


A week ago today I was visiting Blond Girl along with my friend and her daughter (whom I will call Snow's Mom and Snow White to be consistent with Blond Girl). I had planned to come home and write all about our weekend at Blond Girl's new home, but when I got home I found myself exhausted and overwhelmed.

Every day at work I fought to keep my eyes open and my mind on my work. Every evening I came home too tired to cook and barely able to write. My NaNoWriMo word count is suffering horribly, but I think the end is finally in sight. Normality is returning. I think I was just affected by the long drive more than I thought at the time. I slept until 10:00 this morning, and I finally feel refreshed and ready to share with you some of the highlights of our visit.

*****

I was sort of dreading the 10 hour drive it takes to get there, but I had not accounted for the power of good conversation with a good friend. (ME! Conversation! Yeah! Whooda thunk it?!) It actually took us about 11 hours due to some necessary stops along the way, but Snow's Mom and I had some interesting and enjoyable discussions which got us through many miles of many open fields.

*****

When we finally arrived, Sweet Girl (Blond Girl's daughter) was sent to answer the door. She looked out the window first to see who it was and saw me since the Snow girls were already at the door. I heard her shout, "Geekwif and Geek!" (assuming the Geek would be with me since he usually is) and her face lit up. Then she opened the door and saw Snow White (her best friend and the original catalyst for the trip), and was so excited she went into shock. The two girls stood there silent, staring at each other for a minute before they joined hands and Snow White got the tour royale of Chez Blond Girl, starting of course with Sweet Girl's very pretty pink and purple bedroom.

*****

We were introduced to Blond Girl's and Champs' favorite restaurants in town. I gotta say, one of them made me seriously jealous. It would almost be enough to make me want to move there...almost. That's right. One restaurant. It was that good.

*****

Friday and Saturday nights, and to a lesser extent on Sunday night (since we had to be up at 3:30 am to get on the road going home) was pure girl time. The three of us – Blond Girl, Snow's Mom, and I – sat around chatting like we hadn't seen each other in months. I suppose that was because we hadn't. :)

*****

Sweet Girl lost a tooth while we were there. It was very loose when we got there, and finally on Sunday morning, in Sunday School, she pulled it out. I wasn't there, but I guess the abundance of blood on her face freaked out the teacher a bit. It didn't seem to phase SG though. She was grinning from ear to ear.

(Disclaimer: A cookie was involved in the taking of this photo. Blond Girl's little girl is normally quite clean and free of facial chocolate. She's also not usually quite so blurry.)

I stocked up on Sweet Girl hugs and kisses while we were there. She is such an adorable child and I'm so glad I got to spend some time with her as well as her mom.

*****

Sunday morning we had the opportunity to visit the family's new church home. It seems like a wonderful place. We were greeted warmly, the worship was beautiful, and the message was well-laced with scripture and Biblical truth. It was so good to see first hand the place they now call their church home.

*****

Blond Girl and I went shopping on Sunday afternoon while Snow's Mom was napping. Then we went back, picked her up, and shopped some more. It was lovely and so nice to shop with friends again.

*****

Of course, my status as a crazy cat lady will not let me get away without mentioning Gus. He's just as frisky and cute as when I last saw him, but he's twice as big. He put on a show for us one night when Champs pulled out the laser pointer. I really need to get one of those for my little fuzzballs.

*****

My main purposes in taking this trip were to see Blond Girl, to see Sweet Girl, and to see the place (home and town) where they live. Other than the fact that the town is excessively orange (Keep an eye on Blond Girl's blog for more about this subject. She told me that she would be posting about this soon.), I think BG and her family have a very nice place to live, and I very much enjoyed my time in their new home.

I missed my Geek terribly by the last day, but I would not have changed a thing about this trip. I miss them already, but between their visits here and mine there, I'm sure we'll see them often enough to keep that friendship alive and well. I have evidence that the Geek might even take the trip with me next time. I'm sure Champs would appreciate a bit of male influence among the gaggle of girls in his home.

2 Comments:

At 11/21/2006 7:47 PM, Blogger yellojkt wrote:

Sounds like you had a great trip. It's always good to visit friends.

 
At 11/22/2006 11:42 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

i'm so glad you got to go!


i came to check on you, see how you are with the nanowrimo thing.

push on, press on toward the prize! you're almost there... go, go, go.....! you can do it geekwif!!!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home